Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real Estate/Price of Homes Dropping?

@pieman wrote:

In your case, people want out of CA.

Its the most messed up state, I mean with the migrants, homeless , taxes and governor, why would anyone want to move there. Now the governor speaks of wanting to use Human Compose!<<<  Whats he crazy!

I mean no disrespect to you, but if I were you, I'd lower your price, take the first offer you get and get out of that state before it gets any worse. Something sitting for 2 months now, is getting stale and viewers and other agents see it.

We are in FL and keep getting calls if we are interested in selling. Now, I know many fly-by- night companies make a habit of dropping post cards in the mailbox to inquire about purchasing cheap, but most of them here have been legit. 

We haven't yet put it on the market but are seriously thinking of it,  if the FEDS would just stop raising the interest rates! 

Good luck  with your sale..

@pieman 

Offense taken. Not cool to degrade any states. I am not happy with all of the decisions that my Governor makes or some of the happenings, but I still love my state.

I will keep mum on your state, since this is a good thread and I don't want it to be closed because of silly politics. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus Look, just watch the news, its blasted all over what CA is having to deal with.

If you are offended by that, then you are agreeing with how its run.

The conversation shouldn't be shut down, its on the news daily, some can handle it, some can't.

My apologizes to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

Not here the houses sell so fast they don't even get the realtors sign on the yard.

If I was in the position to do so I'd sell in a minute and move into the new over 55 villas they've built near us.  They are beautiful and offer the nicest amenities - no golf course but I don't golf so that would be ok for me.

The houses are being sold sometimes $20-30,000 over asking -- I just scratch my head!

@homedecor1I've looked into some of these in another state and the ones that I looked at have an "entrance fee."  You do own the home, but I'm not sure about these 55+ communities.  Read and research very carefully unless you already know someone who does it and can explain it to you. 

Sounds like you put your down payment + a fee to "come in."  Check it out.

I live in over 55 there are no fees to move into our Community.  The fees are I think called a CDD (bond) which can be quite expensive there are several new communities built near me and yes they have fees.

The villas I'm referring to are either own or lease situations with no "move in" fees.  They are not manufactured or mobile homes and as I do now -- we own the land.  Here in FL there are so many new places to buy you're right one must do their research🙂

Very good @homedecor1 !  I'm happy that you're up on it and won't be taken aback by some of these fees.  I'm still confused by them.  I will stay myself where I am for now, but at one point stopped considering picking up roots for an active 55+ community in another state because of those fees. 

I read they could be as much as your mortgage, but you get the money back after you die or something.  What can you do with the money after you die, except leave it in a will?

I guess I could have looked for residences w/o those fees, but I felt the sense of community for those of similar age would be ideal for me.

Enjoy!!!!!

@gertrudecloset 

I think your referring to a "buy in fee" they have this provision in independent living communities, which are providing care if you need to use assisted living then hospital care -- all combined into 1 in these communities.  You also get your meals, activities,  doctors, etc. for a monthly fee. 

If you die you only get a minimal % back to your estate.

I know a lot about these facilities because I've attended many seminars at different places with a few friends.  Many where I live are much older and this community demographic is average age 78 up.   Many don't want the upkeep of a house or are in deterioting health & have moved into independent facilities.

A over 55 is completely different than a "independent  living facility" (I don't know the correct term but there prominent here in FL).  Just look for a "gated over 55 deeded community" and one where you own the land, if you prefer.

good luck🙂

Honored Contributor

People definitely looking to move to states like Florida, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. 

People definitely want to flee states like New York and California. 

Don't ask me to provide statistics because they are out there all over. 

Will never understand why facts are so difficult for some here to understand.

Denial solves nothing. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

People definitely looking to move to states like Florida, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. 

Denial solves nothing. 

All they have to do is check how many drivers licenses were turned in from those two mentioned states that people are fleeing from.

Respected Contributor

The 55+ communities I have explored refer to themselves as active adult communities. Many have golf courses. They offer swimming, tennis, pickelball, clubhouses with exercise areas, and lots and lots of interest group clubs.

A person 55 and older must reside in the property which can either be a freestanding home or townhouse. A few communities have condos, Some manufactured home communities have this same type of amenities and the homeowner owns the land. Some manufactured home communities have leased spaces.

All of the above are meant for active adults and do not allow children to reside there. They are quite different from the living arrangements for seniors needing help.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh Good timing!  Congratulations on your new home!

@gidgetgh wrote:

I haven't been really actively monitoring, but from what I hear in my area of Atlanta, things maybe have cooled down a little. 

I am so thankful that I sold our old house and closed in mid-February at the very height of the frenzy.  Our top offer came in on the first day. 9 offers in 3 days and it sold for a lot higher than asking price.  And I thought the asking price my realtor set was ambitious.  The buyers overpaid, at least in my opinion, but that's what the market was doing, at least then.  Not my problem.

And I was able to lock in the price for my new build in May of last year, so I lucked out with that also. 

I was just so thankful, for both. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus  @BoopOMatic 

oh yes, mortgage interest rates between 1979-1982 because of inflation  were 16-18% and you had to have 20% cash down ! My 1st home mortagage was 18% and my husband and I saved for abt 5 yrs to have the 20% down on a 20 acre farmette .

Honored Contributor

@pieman   You spoke the truth, no need for apologies. Each of us has our own opinion.  I appreciate your assessment and have witnessed it first hand, as well as corroboration with facts.  Thanks for your honest share.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN   True....facts.  Thanks.

@RetRN wrote:

Denial solves nothing.