Super Contributor

Re: Reading the biography of Oprah by Kitty Kellys

On 11/23/2014 lovescats said:
On 11/23/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 11/23/2014 RedHeadedWench said: As I have talked about before, I worked fir the woman for almost 2 years as an online associate producer for both Oprah.com and Oxygen. The woman has a totally different persona off camera than on. She's not all that nice off camera and the temperature in the Harpoon Studios us very much like that opening scene in the movie " The Devil Wears Prada" when Meryl Streep comes in the office. I have sat in her chair in the set...the gold ones, stood on the stage. When we all came in to town to attend a meeting, she decided not to attend at the last minute, because she changed her mind. I guess five folks that ran her Internet site flying in from all over the country to specifically meet her and go over plans wasn't that important to her. One year for Christmas, we received a photograph that was "signed" by her. That's it. It was the same photo they pass out when you're standing in line to see the show. Trust me, she's not all she makes herself out to be. I have more stories, but I've told them before.

Interesting! These are the type of quirks I have heard about Oprah over the years as well... I suppose being a hard nose not only as Woman, but a Black Woman, as well, is/was the way to fight to the top.. and as per the book, that was her goal from childhood... to be famous.

It is interesting that Oprah often times talks about her very POOR$$$ childhood and going without, so poor she had no dolls and instead gave names to two cockroaches..... WHAT HOGWASH!!! A Total fabrication! Oprah told stories about being hungry when she actually NEVER went hungry or without during her childhood. She was also a very difficult child, did some things as a young woman that are rather unspeakable... stealing money from family members and stores, even doing things with men for money as a young teen.... as money was an all important to her. She denied her teen pregnancy for years until the information came out from a family member in a magazine and then and only then did she ever fess up to it....

Should the men have been arrested? No child really has control of their childhood do they ? and saying she didn't have dolls doesn't mean she said she was hungry. I don't think it's fun for any kid to go to school and not have the things other kids have. Did she really owe anyone an explanation for being pregnant as a teen. Whenever people hate or dislike a public figure does that ever really hurt the public figure?

I guess what I was saying was that much of Oprah's memories of her "poor" childhood was fabricated... she may not have had well to do family... but she never went without. Oprah has a very fractured tremulous family relationship to this day. No closeness. I am sure this is tied into her issue with food and weight issues. She holds a lot of anger.

Esteemed Contributor

I was bored with the book & didn't finish.

Super Contributor

I guess she's just someone that certain people love to hate. Oh well, she got the last laugh, all the way to the bank and beyond.

Regular Contributor

On 11/22/2014 spindlegirl said:
On 11/22/2014 RainCityGirl said:

On any given day anybody can be portrayed as one thing or another. We are all multi faceted. No one ever thought Oprah was flawless, nor is she all one way or the other. Kitty Kelly's books are usually grounded in dirt that she knows everyone wants to believe. It helps them accept the fact that they have not had the good fortune that the celeb has had. I believe Oprah worked very hard to get where she is, and I imagine she has done some things she may not be proud of, but she's also done a lot of good. If she weren't an exceptional person, she'd be an unknown entity getting by on what she eeked out for a living, the same as the rest of the majority in this country. At least give her credit for being a human being, not all good, not all bad. I celebrate her success.

GREAT POST!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

YES....I 2ND THAT
Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 lovescats said:
On 11/23/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 11/23/2014 RedHeadedWench said: As I have talked about before, I worked fir the woman for almost 2 years as an online associate producer for both Oprah.com and Oxygen. The woman has a totally different persona off camera than on. She's not all that nice off camera and the temperature in the Harpoon Studios us very much like that opening scene in the movie " The Devil Wears Prada" when Meryl Streep comes in the office. I have sat in her chair in the set...the gold ones, stood on the stage. When we all came in to town to attend a meeting, she decided not to attend at the last minute, because she changed her mind. I guess five folks that ran her Internet site flying in from all over the country to specifically meet her and go over plans wasn't that important to her. One year for Christmas, we received a photograph that was "signed" by her. That's it. It was the same photo they pass out when you're standing in line to see the show. Trust me, she's not all she makes herself out to be. I have more stories, but I've told them before.

Interesting! These are the type of quirks I have heard about Oprah over the years as well... I suppose being a hard nose not only as Woman, but a Black Woman, as well, is/was the way to fight to the top.. and as per the book, that was her goal from childhood... to be famous.

It is interesting that Oprah often times talks about her very POOR$$$ childhood and going without, so poor she had no dolls and instead gave names to two cockroaches..... WHAT HOGWASH!!! A Total fabrication! Oprah told stories about being hungry when she actually NEVER went hungry or without during her childhood. She was also a very difficult child, did some things as a young woman that are rather unspeakable... stealing money from family members and stores, even doing things with men for money as a young teen.... as money was an all important to her. She denied her teen pregnancy for years until the information came out from a family member in a magazine and then and only then did she ever fess up to it....

Should the men have been arrested? No child really has control of their childhood do they ? and saying she didn't have dolls doesn't mean she said she was hungry. I don't think it's fun for any kid to go to school and not have the things other kids have. Did she really owe anyone an explanation for being pregnant as a teen. Whenever people hate or dislike a public figure does that ever really hurt the public figure?

She should have been arrested for what she did to get rid of it.

Occasional Contributor

Why am I not surprised? Just another celebrity diva.

Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 spindlegirl said:

My name is Gossip.

I have no respect for justice.

I maim without killing.

I break hearts and ruin lives.

I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age. The more I am quoted the more I am believed.

I flourish at every level of society.

My victims are helpless.

They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.

To track me down is impossible.

The harder you try, the more elusive I become.

I am nobody's friend.

Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.

I topple governments and ruin marriages.

I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartache and indigestion.

I spawn suspicion and generate grief.

I make innocent people cry in their pillows.

Even my name hisses.

I AM CALLED GOSSIP.

____________________ .....

I like this.... And your posts are well thought out and I enjoy reading your point of view.

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 shoekitty said:
On 11/22/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I know someone who worked for her in Chicago ...... suffice it to say, Oprah is NOT who she pretends to be! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I have a friend who lives in Montecito by Oprah. Although Oprah's home is isolated, she is in town and around often. They love her, and find her kind, respectful and an asset to their community. I don't think she hides a lot from the public. JMHO

Well, I don't doubt that she is nice to people she knows casually ..... none of those people are on her payroll. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

Don't care for her or her friend Gayle. Granted, Oprah is filthy rich but that doesn't make a person kind, respectful, or caring. I think she can be pretty phony and probably knows how to use people to her advantage.

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 11/22/2014 adelle38 said:

I read the book and I take everything with a grain of salt. My view is some of it is accurate and some is not. Relatives may or may not be reliable sources and even if two people witness the same event, they come away with different points of view. Nothing in the book diminishes Oprah's accomplishments whatever personal faults she may have. I'd hate to think what some of my relatives might say about me.

So, this is taken with a grain of salt, but anyone and everyone who makes an accusation against Bill Cosby is to be believed without question? SMH

They'd no similarity between one person saying something and 10 or more making allegations, which are all demonstrative of the same situation.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment