Honored Contributor

Re: Reading the biography of Oprah by Kitty Kellys

On 11/22/2014 adelle38 said:

I read the book and I take everything with a grain of salt. My view is some of it is accurate and some is not. Relatives may or may not be reliable sources and even if two people witness the same event, they come away with different points of view. Nothing in the book diminishes Oprah's accomplishments whatever personal faults she may have. I'd hate to think what some of my relatives might say about me.

So, this is taken with a grain of salt, but anyone and everyone who makes an accusation against Bill Cosby is to be believed without question? SMH

Honored Contributor

I detest gossip, rumors, innuendos, and such, and these books fall into that category in my opinion. It's sad that some people make money this way, but I know it's nothing new and it will never stop. I guess I don't understand the appetite for this type of book, magazine, website, etc.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 AnnaBella said:

It has been out for a few years... WOW!{#emotions_dlg.scared} I see Oprah in a whole new light. Her childhood was pretty scandalous.. and Oprah has kept quiet, even lied about much of her past and things she has done in her life and to get ahead.... Not the nice person really that she portrays or at least tries to portray. Not too forgiving or nice to family members... very interesting read.

Is that you, Missy123? {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Is this a new nic?

I have missed you and your posts about Oprah. Wink

Happy Thanksgiving. Smiley Happy

ETA: Mixed up two posters' names. Correction made.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

I don't like either KK or Opie so no, I won't be reading it.

Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 spindlegirl said:

And you believe everything Kitty Kelley writes? WOW! Lol

NO of course not. But she did interview many family members and past friends of Oprah's... many people who she worked with in the very beginning.

With One beauty contest she actually was NOT the winner and when they came to her telling her of the mistake and asked if she would fairly step down..... Oprah said heck no! She wanted that title no matter if she really won it fairly or not. That made me see someone who is not quite on the up and up about truth

What was the contest and why did they make the mistake of telling her she won?

Valued Contributor

On 11/22/2014 lovescats said:
On 11/22/2014 spindlegirl said:

And you believe everything Kitty Kelley writes? WOW! Lol

NO of course not. But she did interview many family members and past friends of Oprah's... many people who she worked with in the very beginning.

With One beauty contest she actually was NOT the winner and when they came to her telling her of the mistake and asked if she would fairly step down..... Oprah said heck no! She wanted that title no matter if she really won it fairly or not. That made me see someone who is not quite on the up and up about truth

What was the contest and why did they make the mistake of telling her she won?

I looked up her 2 pageants and they were when she was very young and totally unknown. She had no clout back then. No way do I believe a pageant would've allowed her to tell them what to do. I don't believe it.

Honored Contributor

I read it and other print and O/P I agree...Oprah is not as she portrays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

On any given day anybody can be portrayed as one thing or another. We are all multi faceted. No one ever thought Oprah was flawless, nor is she all one way or the other. Kitty Kelly's books are usually grounded in dirt that she knows everyone wants to believe. It helps them accept the fact that they have not had the good fortune that the celeb has had. I believe Oprah worked very hard to get where she is, and I imagine she has done some things she may not be proud of, but she's also done a lot of good. If she weren't an exceptional person, she'd be an unknown entity getting by on what she eeked out for a living, the same as the rest of the majority in this country. At least give her credit for being a human being, not all good, not all bad. I celebrate her success.

Valued Contributor

On 11/22/2014 RainCityGirl said:

On any given day anybody can be portrayed as one thing or another. We are all multi faceted. No one ever thought Oprah was flawless, nor is she all one way or the other. Kitty Kelly's books are usually grounded in dirt that she knows everyone wants to believe. It helps them accept the fact that they have not had the good fortune that the celeb has had. I believe Oprah worked very hard to get where she is, and I imagine she has done some things she may not be proud of, but she's also done a lot of good. If she weren't an exceptional person, she'd be an unknown entity getting by on what she eeked out for a living, the same as the rest of the majority in this country. At least give her credit for being a human being, not all good, not all bad. I celebrate her success.

GREAT POST!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 croemer said:

I read it and other print and O/P I agree...Oprah is not as she portrays.

Oprah used to have a ""farm"" not too far from where I live. Word was she was pretty hard to please and not very nice to the help.