Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reading a book earlier about things senior's feel

I’m not sure how I would rate myself. Perception is everything – glass half full or half empty. Some days I might rate my life a D and other days I might rate it better. I haven’t always made the best choices but I do try to learn from my mistakes. I like this quote from Joyce Meyer.

“I may not be where I want to be, but thank God I am not where I used to be.” – Joyce Meyer

Respected Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

I’m not sure how I would rate myself. Perception is everything – glass half full or half empty. Some days I might rate my life a D and other days I might rate it better. I haven’t always made the best choices but I do try to learn from my mistakes. I like this quote from Joyce Meyer.

“I may not be where I want to be, but thank God I am not where I used to be.” – Joyce Meyer

Love Joyce. Have watched her for 20 years and she has changed my life....made me the person I am. 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It's a lot of quotes from 70-100+ adults. They were telling things about their lives and the author listed a quote and the older person's reasons for their statements. There's so much treasure in their experiences of life from so many different ages and areas. It's a jewel we don't often tap into and some great stories on top of that.

In one area I found myself asking this: (of myself), in your life as you see it now and you look back ALL THINGS CONSIDERED what grade would you give your life? I had to think on that for awhile. I think my life would get a B-. As I think of things today, that could change, but for now, it's a fit.

Would you care to comment? Hopefully it will be positive.

Would love to have the name of the book.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

"The days grow short when you reach September," which is where I am.  Years left from here are in single digits.  I can't "grade" my life . . . I would say "very good, good, bad and, at times, very bad."

The  "very good" is how much and how many people I have loved, my only hope being that they can remember and prosper because of that love after I've left.

Great post....you said it very well.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

It's a lot of quotes from 70-100+ adults. They were telling things about their lives and the author listed a quote and the older person's reasons for their statements. There's so much treasure in their experiences of life from so many different ages and areas. It's a jewel we don't often tap into and some great stories on top of that.

In one area I found myself asking this: (of myself), in your life as you see it now and you look back ALL THINGS CONSIDERED what grade would you give your life? I had to think on that for awhile. I think my life would get a B-. As I think of things today, that could change, but for now, it's a fit.

Would love to have the name of the book.

I would also like the name of the book.  Thanks!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Okay, I give up  ....  what's the title of the book?

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

I am 59. I would have given myself an A, had it all. Then mental illness reared its ugly head with my daughter and now I give myself a D. Life has changed, counting our blessings for the good things we have left, could be worse.

panda, 

I have the feeling you represent a lot of people here, you think you're a D, but you have handled rough spots in the road and you perservered.

I'm thinking you did your best and you're a lot more than a D  Heart

Thank you sooooo much for lifting me up today.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always lived my life day to day. I do not regret the past, nor look back....I do not foresee the future or what may happen.  I live in the now, the moment. That is all we have.

To live otherwise , to look back in time, to grade your life so far as A,B,C,D??? That only leads to regret, or unhappiness.  Seems pointless. I feel sorry for those of you who feel so little about yourself that you would give your life a "D".  How sad.....

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

"The days grow short when you reach September," which is where I am.  Years left from here are in single digits.  I can't "grade" my life . . . I would say "very good, good, bad and, at times, very bad."

The  "very good" is how much and how many people I have loved, my only hope being that they can remember and prosper because of that love after I've left.

Great post....you said it very well.

Thank you Panda123.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@TNRatPack wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

I am 59. I would have given myself an A, had it all. Then mental illness reared its ugly head with my daughter and now I give myself a D. Life has changed, counting our blessings for the good things we have left, could be worse.

Oh Panda I'm so sorry.  When things happen to our children it's incredibly hard isn't it?  I hope you have lots of support, both for your daughter and yourself. 

It is hard when things happen to your kids. I guess we just love them so deeply. Wish it could be me and not her.