Trusted Contributor

Re: Read only if you are interested in a new warning about the virus

Yep, read this earlier. First thought was "what will the NEXT chapter of this dystopian novel bring?!" Sadly, it's not a novel but reality.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

And then the children being hospitalized post COVID-19 with an inflammatory syndrome.

I read about that this morning.

Wake me up when this is over.  Unless, you know, I'm long gone by then.

Honored Contributor

I like the warning label you put on this thread. That way if anyone takes issue with it you can just say did you not read the title?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

I think we're all going to be insane when/if this is over with.  I still say this is WW3!!!  Germs instead of bullets..........

@Patriot3 - No doubt. WWIII.

I still wonder why they were working on bats at the Wuhan lab. I told DH last night it must have been germ warfare, no matter what happened, and whether or not it was an accident. Can you imagine what things would be like if this virus had infected just the USA? How many other countries would have helped us.

@beach-mom, there are doctors known as virus hunters that specifically go into remote areas of countries, get various animals and conduct tests on them to find out what types of disease they spread, what can be done to prevent spread, how these viruses can be treated, etc.  

Bats have long been studied. They carry many diseases but yet they can live with those diseases. That was one thing that has been studied with them.   These virus hunters have predicted that the next pandemic is going to spread from a bird.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I read about this earlier today. Then along came scientists to claim that there really isn't enough information. Of course that was what it boiled down to afer they went into great detail in scientific speak that most people including me couldn't understand.

I think one of the downsides of having access to so much information is stuff that would normally stay in the scientific papers realm are out all over. We probably aren't far enough into this thing to have solid info. Things change by the week.We still have new symptoms being added. 

So I'd put this into the back of your head as something interesting they are looking at but could be discounted with a different theory next week.

Respected Contributor

Oh goodie. As if the original isn't contagious enough.

These adaptive mutations aren't unusual, though, especially with cross-species transmission. The Hong Kong flu, which I remember, and which began as an avian flu, has undergone multiple mutations, and continues to emerge, now, as a seasonal flu.

With birds continuing to present a significant pandemic threat, we're the ones who'll have to adapt to seeing these menaces, with regularity.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

I think we're all going to be insane when/if this is over with.  I still say this is WW3!!!  Germs instead of bullets..........

@Patriot3 - No doubt. WWIII.

I still wonder why they were working on bats at the Wuhan lab. I told DH last night it must have been germ warfare, no matter what happened, and whether or not it was an accident. Can you imagine what things would be like if this virus had infected just the USA? How many other countries would have helped us.

Bats are considered the source of both SARS and MERS. Virologists are studying their role.

Super Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And then the children being hospitalized post COVID-19 with an inflammatory syndrome.

I read about that this morning.

Wake me up when this is over.  Unless, you know, I'm long gone by then.

I read that too and it made me shiver. Poor kids. Woman Sad

"Fifteen children, many of whom had the coronavirus, have recently been hospitalized in New York City with a mysterious syndrome that doctors do not yet fully understand but that has also been reported in several European countries, health officials announced Monday night.

Many of the children, ages 2 to 15, have shown symptoms associated with toxic shock or Kawasaki disease, a rare illness in children that involves inflammation of the blood vessels, including coronary arteries, the city’s health department said.

None of the New York City patients with the syndrome have died, according to a bulletin from the health department, which describes the illness as a “multisystem inflammatory syndrome potentially associated with COVID-19.”

Reached late Monday night, the state health commissioner, Dr. Howard A. Zucker, said state officials were also investigating the unexplained syndrome.

The syndrome has received growing attention in recent weeks as cases began appearing in European countries hit hard by the coronavirus.

“There are some recent rare descriptions of children in some European countries that have had this inflammatory syndrome, which is similar to the Kawasaki syndrome, but it seems to be very rare,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, a World Health Organization scientist, said at a news briefing last week".

Respected Contributor

All the more vital that medical scientists be in the forefront informing the public and the national leadership without being hamstrung by self-serving political interests.

People must believe in science first and have full access to the latest information or pay the due of willful ignorance.

Honored Contributor

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong but my take from this is, this is what we are dealing with right now?  This isn't yet another new strain that will be worse than what we have at the moment.

The biggest issue I see with this then is for a vaccine.  Multiple strains means a not very efficient vaccine, correct?  Or problems creating an efficient vaccine.