Regular Contributor

Reaction to WalMart increasing sales of American Made items?

Maybe it's just window dressing, but I hope it catches on. I realize monies get funneled by the corporate big guys anyway, but maybe it's a positive move.
Honored Contributor

Re: Reaction to WalMart increasing sales of American Made items?

Here is my problem with ANYTHING sold in their stores.

They squeeze the manufacturers on price, to the point where some actually LOSE money on products they sell to Walmart.

If the manufacturer is getting pressured for lower and lower prices, then the workers will suffer re: wages and work conditions.

There was an interesting story on CNBC a while ago - a guy sold silk screened T shirts to Walmart - a HUGE order for a small American company. When all was said and done, he made very little profit and because of the size of the order, he had no capacity to sell to other retailers.

So he ended his Walmart contract, sells on-line and through small independent stores, makes a LOT more money and has been able to give his workers raises too!

Regular Contributor

Interesting insight from a personal experience. Thanks for sharing. I also try to shop small business and/or local.
Honored Contributor

The day they start selling Shinola watches and other HE quality items - that will be the day I think they are serious about helping American manufacturing!

Super Contributor

Hi Terrier,

I love such stories. Now everyone is a winner, except big Willy!

magenta

Esteemed Contributor

ITA that their pricing strategy benefits only themselves.

WM determines $1 is the price point at which they can sell a pair of socks. They go to Company A who sells them socks for 75 cents. They go to Company B and that company is willing to sell to them for 50 cents.

WM contracts with Company B. They still sell the socks for $1 and the extra profit is theirs.

Haven't shopped WM in years.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 terrier3 said:

They squeeze the manufacturers on price, to the point where some actually LOSE money on products they sell to Walmart.

If the manufacturer is getting pressured for lower and lower prices, then the workers will suffer re: wages and work conditions.

There was an interesting story on CNBC a while ago - a guy sold silk screened T shirts to Walmart - a HUGE order for a small American company. When all was said and done, he made very little profit and because of the size of the order, he had no capacity to sell to other retailers.

So he ended his Walmart contract, sells on-line and through small independent stores, makes a LOT more money and has been able to give his workers raises too!

This is what is great about capitalism. He can choose to sell how and to whom he wishes, and if he has a good enough product, a good enough marketing plan, and a good enough business plan, he doesn't need someone like WM. I like having the choices.

Honored Contributor

Even though I do not patronize Walmart, I support the stocking of American-made goods.

Honored Contributor

On 2/9/2014 mominohio said:
On 2/9/2014 terrier3 said:

This is what is great about capitalism. He can choose to sell how and to whom he wishes, and if he has a good enough product, a good enough marketing plan, and a good enough business plan, he doesn't need someone like WM. I like having the choices.

More and more US businesses are fighting back against the Walmart model - which I think will be great for local, American made products in the long run.

Walmart's business plan is in many ways the opposite of USA growth and prosperity. It's wonderful to see more and more people shop local.

Respected Contributor

Anything that encourages more manufacturing here is a good thing.

What worries you masters you.