Contributor

Re: Wild animals of the California fires.

Thought I would post this tiny glimmer of hope from the fires in California. This was on our local news website.

12:45 p.m.

The National Park Service says all but one of 13 mountain lions being tracked in Southern California mountains have been accounted for following a devastating wildfire.

As of Friday, the only missing mountain lion was one dubbed P-74, a young male born last year.

In addition, all four bobcats that the agency monitors via GPS have been located in the Santa Monica Mountains northwest of Los Angeles.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks—good to know, @Qcloudy. A welcomed glimmer of hope amongst so much destruction and loss of human life. I hope the young lion turns up, too. 

A lot of habitat temporarily destroyed. Wildlife are blessed with such keen instinct, that I otherwise worry more about domesticated animals left behind as their families fled for their lives. Thinking many may have survived somehow, if they found water, and of those. . . some will unfortunately need to be placed with new families. I'd be willing to adopt another dog and/or horse. My mother is interested in adopting another cat. 

Honored Contributor

@Qcloudy Thanks for posting that. It breaks my heart to think of the fate of all the animals. Glad these are OK.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the information. Im a big supporter of MLF and its good to know the mountain lions are ok. Hope the other one shows up somewhere.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Super Contributor

I found it encouraging to hear a local Outdoor Sportsman author, Tom Steinstra, remark that wildlife is hardwired to survive forest fires. They have been doing so since day 1.

"A disaster for wildlife is when its habitat is destroyed, like when wetlands are paved over to build a shopping center. The habitat is lost forever. There is no coming back from that.

“For fish and wildlife, a fire, an oil spill, things like that, these are bad things that happened. It looks bad right now, but the habitat isn’t lost forever. If the habitat isn’t lost, then it can come back, and so will the wildlife.”

Esteemed Contributor

@Qcloudy wrote:

Thought I would post this tiny glimmer of hope from the fires in California. This was on our local news website.

12:45 p.m.

The National Park Service says all but one of 13 mountain lions being tracked in Southern California mountains have been accounted for following a devastating wildfire.

As of Friday, the only missing mountain lion was one dubbed P-74, a young male born last year.

In addition, all four bobcats that the agency monitors via GPS have been located in the Santa Monica Mountains northwest of Los Angeles.

_________________ @Qcloudy@moto@hsawaknow,

@Love my grandkids@PamfromCT@jubilant@Tissyanne@CareBears...

along with anyone that may be reading.

There are no words that I could express my emotions for these horrific on going fires.

I am sadden beyond belief, comprehension how this began and the many days gaining momentum of further fires -havoc- for the lost of lives, the missing that may be still alive and the families still having dna investigation detection of hundreds- thousands of bones for IDing.

My deep concern, also, was for the wildlife, missing pets, the homeless pets and all barn animals that had to be brought to a safer place. 

I posted this in (2) other threads and then left. Not that there is anything wrong with being excited about Thanksgiving, food and joining in with family to travel, getting there; there was something I had nothing to join in about.  ~~But that's just me as usual when very bad things are happening to masses of people and no where to go. 

Very thankful for -all -of the SUPPORT help, donations and quick responses from other states, along with the tiring work of each fire fighter. 

I am with each person ( on his posting) for their replies during this holiday season month.  I watch just enough not to become overwhelmed.

For me, I envision this situation as 'if' this would be for my loved ones, along with my precious family and those friends whom I knew.

The best I can do is donate, have our church ministry drive out with many supplies.  DONATIONS for 2 main ministries and any church asking for a clothing drive. 

Thank you for posting, Qcloudy.   My heart is with each one for  __"Keeping Hope Alive"__ ` those that are struggling. `Be safe and have Faith that many are helping.

I receive more updated news from here, those who live close by and offer / have immediate news

@And, also for @PamfromCT: I read your post earlier today from, I believe 2 days ago. 

PEACE ~~Prayers 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your post, Naes.  This is so tragic for all life forms. I'm hoping the death toll will not rise much more but I fear it will.  My prayers continue for all concerned and for all the people that will be grieving the death of their loved ones....... both family and furry friends. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Santa Monica Mountains National Park Service

The only mountain lion still missing is dubbed P-74, a young male that was born last year and is the newest lion added to the National Park Service study of big cats in the mountains.

Mountain lion P-22, seen in a 2014 photo, has been located . Arguably the most famous of the lions in the study. P-22 is famous for his camera appearances in Griffith Park and for successfully crossing the 405 and 101 freeways.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Female mountain lion P-42 (approx four years old)

Say hello to B-362, a female bobcat we collared on November 7, 2018. She is the 4th bobcat in our study & we’re happy to report that all of them appear to be moving.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover  Thank you for the photos. Wild cats are such beautiful animals.

Contributor

Thank you all for the many hearts for my original post. They are appreciated.