Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rare footage of only known wild US Jaguar in AZ

[ Edited ]

While thrilled that he is here I really wish this had not made the national news.  I was saddened to read that a Canadian mining company may destroy his habitat.

I hope some agency has the authority to step in a declare the area off limits so the idiots that will now come out of the woodwork trying to see him live (and hopefully that is all they want to do), and the mining company, can be kept away.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

While thrilled that he is here I really wish this had not made the national news.  I was saddened to read that a Canadian mining company may destroy his habitat.

I hope some agency has the authority to step in a declare the area off limits so the idiots that will now come out of the woodwork trying to see him live (and hopefully that is all they want to do), and the mining company, can be kept away.

@Marp

I SO agree with you!

Hopefully there's not another dentist (or anyone else!) who wants 'the last US Jaguar' for his trophy case!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I am worried sick that some idiot like that dentist will want him for a trophy. 

I wish they had not reported his whereabouts.

Esteemed Contributor

Of course there will be some jack wagon who wants to bag the cat.  I don't think a large enough fine and years and years of jailtime is enough for people like that dentist.  . 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I've seen a number of pictures of jags  in New Mexico so I don't think it's that unusual to find them in Arizona or even the wilds of West Texas.   It's said they wander over looking for mates.   What a thrill it would be to see one!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I hate that this is going viral.  Next we'll be reading he was killed.

Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

I hate that this is going viral.  Next we'll be reading he was killed.

yes, my fear too.

Occasional Contributor

I live 25 minutes from the mountain he is wandering.  Residents have been fighting this mine for a number of years.  The huge Freeport McMorRan mine on the western side of our valley,  is in the process of closing down operations  as  the price of copper dropped.  We can only hope this company with not go ahead with their plans to desicrate the area.   The road they will use for hauling is a designated senic highway.  Narrow, curving, with stunning views.  

Greed is the only reason

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've seen a number of pictures of jags  in New Mexico so I don't think it's that unusual to find them in Arizona or even the wilds of West Texas.   It's said they wander over looking for mates.   What a thrill it would be to see one!

@Kachina624  I also think it would be a thrill to see a Mt. Lion, which have been seen in very close proximity to my home, but I would not want to see one on my property, beautiful but scary.  Mankind has encroached on the territory of these magnificent animals, wild cats, and on and on, which is one reason so many have become extinct.  I would not want to live in a world without animals.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  I also think it would be a thrill to see a Mt. Lion, which have been seen in very close proximity to my home, but I would not want to see one on my property, beautiful but scary.  Mankind has encroached on the territory of these magnificent animals, wild cats, and on and on, which is one reason so many have become extinct.  I would not want to live in a world without animals.

I saw one about a month ago when I was outside my house. It was night and I kept hearing something hissing in the dark part of the woods where there wasn't a light. I got the flashlight out and there it was, about 50 yards from me. Big, beautiful amazing creature. It was hissing at me because one of my dogs was out with me and they don't like dogs. I spoke with my neighbor who has lived in the area for 40 years and has seen tracks but never in person so I feel very lucky to have had the experience. There is no reason to be scared- you just have to be aware of your surroundings at all times and with mountain lions, you just make sure to make noise.  I need to get our trail cam back up because the elk herd comes through my property too. They too are magnificent creatures whose herds have been decimated by hunters (poachers) and loss of habitat over the years.