Respected Contributor

Rare eye cancer striking Auburn grads in Alabama, N.Carolina

More investigation needs to be done as to causes, but this is an interesting story about ocular melanoma.

https://www.myajc.com/news/rare-eye-cancer-striking-some-auburn-grads/KZejUcFWzg9ee1kpncWMKJ/

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rare eye cancer striking Auburn grads in Alabama, N.Carolina

I had melanoma years ago and have skin check-ups twice a year, but when I go to the ophthalmologist, I remind him to take a special look for melanoma. He always reminds me that it’s rare. If I had to guess, I’d look at those tanning booths as the possible culprit. We already know that melanoma has been seen more frequently on the skin of tanning bed users so why not the effect on the eyes?

Respected Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I had melanoma years ago and have skin check-ups twice a year, but when I go to the ophthalmologist, I remind him to take a special look for melanoma. He always reminds me that it’s rare. If I had to guess, I’d look at those tanning booths as the possible culprit. We already know that melanoma has been seen more frequently on the skin of tanning bed users so why not the effect on the eyes?

I had stage IIIC breast cancer - my oncologist said I should have a yearly opthalmologist appt bc breast cancer (not always) but oftentimes travels north to the brain.  This happened to my mother in the 70's.   My onc says that getting eyes examined yearly won't detect brain cancer but it can show any irregularities in and around the iris, optical nerve, etc. - this very same issue they are having right now. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1, Wow this is news to me, I live in Alabama, and college team is Auburn University and know lots of Auburn grads that still live here, and I haven't heard anything about this!?

Respected Contributor

I read about it on Facebook recently and googled it today. Two additional clusters have been identified in Huntersville and Charlotte, N. Carolina. The article didn't say if those groups have a common denominator such as the one the thirty-six have as Auburn University grads.