Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair

What a beautiful squirrel.  I haven't seen a white one before. I enjoyed the picture! 

Thank you

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair

What a beautiful squirrel.  I haven't seen a white one before. I enjoyed the picture! 

Thank you

@butterfly123 I enjoyed seeing the white deer and I'm so glad that they are protected.

If you look up Marionville, Missouri there are some videos of the white squirrels.

I grew up not too far from there and we would go visit at the park and watch them.

Also, where our son use to live on the farm, they had black squirrels. They were so pretty and fluffy. Since it was a large farm, they didn't have to worry about people hunting them.

Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair

Thank you! I will look for the videos.

Does your son also live in that area or somewhere else that have the black squirrels?

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair

Thank you! I will look for the videos.

Does your son also live in that area or somewhere else that have the black squirrels?

@butterfly123 Our son and daughter-in-law have moved to Sweden where all of her family lives. She is half Swedish and her Mother is American.

They decided to move there because she was never able to see her family.

Our son sold the farm when they left which was just about 5 miles from us.

The people that bought the land loved animals too and I know they would take care of the squirrels.

Marionville is about two hours from where we live now.

Last night when we were going to plant some day lilies, my husband was using a shovel and all of a sudden I saw a baby rabbit. I told him to stop because there was a nest of four babies.

I was wearing gloves, so I don't think I left a human smell because I had been pulling weeds too.

I took some of the grass and covered them back up. Tonight, I went to check on them and they were curled up in a ball sleeping. So I knew their mama had been there to feed them.

Thought you would enjoy the story. The flower planting has been put on hold.

Honored Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair

Happy news. Thank you for sharing. So nice of you and your husband to wait to plant. What fun to watch the bunnies grow🌹

Honored Contributor

The eastern gray black squirrel is common in Marysville, Kansas. This one was  caught stealing Easter eggs at an annual egg hunt.@butterfly123 Thought you would enjoy this cute picture.

Trusted Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@butterfly123 ... That sounds just gorgeous! I hope they can preserve the white deer. It says they are not albinos... just a mutation.

Nature does beautiful things. We feed the animals that come to our yard. We have some squirrels with blonde tails. That, too, was a mutation about 10 years ago.

Hi @Yardlie!

I bet that would really be interesting to see. Smiley Happy

Do you have any black squirrels up your way?

I've read that they're actually a mutation of gray squirrels. 

Honored Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@butterfly123 ... That sounds just gorgeous! I hope they can preserve the white deer. It says they are not albinos... just a mutation.

Nature does beautiful things. We feed the animals that come to our yard. We have some squirrels with blonde tails. That, too, was a mutation about 10 years ago.

Hi @Yardlie!

@Toppers We have black squirrels here in Missouri.

Trusted Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@Toppers wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

Hi @Yardlie!

@Toppers We have black squirrels here in Missouri.

Hi @Sister Golden Hair,

We have them here in WI, too, but Brinklii is farther north than I am, and I was wondering if she has seen any up her way.

I was just reading up on them, and they are found in only certain areas of the world, including the US, Canada, and England, from what I can recall. 

I think that they are so cute! Their coats are such a dark, vivid color. They live in a grove of oak trees that isn't too far from us. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Rare White Deer

[ Edited ]

@Toppers wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

Hi @Yardlie!

Hi @Toppers ... I didn't know you were from Wisconsin too! I've heard of black squirrels, but I've never seen one. I'll bet they are adorable. I'd probably think it was a kitty at first. This is the first year we have had the gray squirrels with blonde tails. I know we have two of them that come into the yard. Very cute!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli