Respected Contributor

Re: Rap music in commercials

That's OK.  I'm a Boomer and I like a lot of rap music.  I don't want to hear country, jazz or opera. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
@Laura14,millennialss are 40. They have minivans and bad backs.

Using that logic we could say baby boomers are 75, arthritic, and cruising the grocery aisles in mobility scooters reaching for bottles of Metamucil with their Gopher Grabbers.

But, of course, not all baby boomers are 75 and unable walk and reach things without assistance and not all millennials are 40 with bad backs. 

The youngest of the baby boomers are turning 57 while the youngest of the millennials are turning 25. 

Honored Contributor

The commercials with rap music are usually very catchy and entertaining. I tend to stop and watch and sometimes dance. 

Honored Contributor

Commercials have to target a lot of different audiences so there will be different styles of music on them. I'm glad. I'm heading toward 70 and like the diversity of music in commercials....and for myself. My favorite genre is alternative. I've never been into head-banging music though.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been commercials that I've found new music to enjoy. I remember several years ago one of the cell phone carriers kept using this really catchy dance song to advertise their plans so onto Google I went and found the song, and downloaded it to my phone. I'm 45, so not ready for retirement, but old enough to have songs from my era used to sell products to people who are ready for retirement or suffering from every ailment under the sun. 

What's fun is going on YouTube and watching old commercials compared to how they're done now. Original jingles were used, you had actors & actresses carrying on whole conversations, now it's mostly sound bites and fast edits over rap or pop songs, or the actors are trying to be "hip and edgy" with their dialogue. 

I'm not a fan of today's mainstream rap, a lot of it isn't pleasant to listen to, it's just MC's mumbling random words over a boring, depressing beat. Lizzo is the exception - she makes it fun and unique. But, I'll still take it over country. I have no idea what happened to THAT genre. You can listen to only so many songs about girls in bikinis riding in pickup trucks going down to the corn maze, or over-the-top anthems before you go crazy.