Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rap music in commercials

@hckynut wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

I DVR every show I watch, including my team's hockey games. Dish has a "commercial skip" option, each button push goes forward 30 seconds. Amazing how I can watch an hour show in 42 minutes using that feature.

Anyways, I do occasionally watch commercials, just to see what they are about. Some of them have so much going on, by the end, I am not sure what they were advertising.  Not good for sales!

hckynut 

This happens to me...I miss what product they were promoting.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Commercials that use rap music are interested in you or me.  They are targeting a much younger demographic that understands and likes that genre of music.  I'm sure arthritis ointment and corn removal Commercials aren't using rap music.  LOL

@chrystaltree wrote:

Commercials that use rap music are interested in you or me.  They are targeting a much younger demographic that understands and likes that genre of music.  I'm sure arthritis ointment and corn removal Commercials aren't using rap music.  LOL

@chrystaltree 

But why should Boomers be restricted to Pharm commercials, ointments, and incontinence we surely buy tons of things...Boomers are so much more than that...... Just shows you what the advertisers think of Boomers.....I watched a spot on one of the Business News networks and they did a piece on consumers and how the advertisers "don't know their customers" and I think Kathie Lee Gifford mentioned it one time too on her show.....We are much so much more than that.....

Someone said the Food Network was the smartest ones they try to appeal to both Millenials and Boomers!  Millenials with Door Dash, Grub Hub, and those food meal companies that provide the ingredients for you to cook, as well as other things like new technology.....And then for the Boomers they show new cars (they can afford the payments with their disposable cash) as well as travel, cruises, and home improvements....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I had to run something back today.  I caught the end of a commercial and thought "What did that say?"

Yes Jif peanut butter is now "Jif'fin".  And we all know what that really is saying.  How charming for kiddie food. 

Huh. I must be even less "with it" than I thought...I have no idea what this might mean! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

I would think that the rap music is aimed at a certain audience and that is the audience the manufacturer wants.  Turn it off, that's an easy fix.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Age seems to be a big consideration in all commercials now. They want to make sure they are targeting their desired demographic.  I find all insurance commercials annoying, but now there is one that talks about turning into your parents, which just ridicules older people and it is obnoxious and insulting to seniors. They are obviously targeting millennials or GenX-ers, like so many others. Applebee's had one commercial with the fancy-like dancers in it. It was actually entertaining to watch and then poof it was gone and now they are back to annoying music. I just hate commercials in general now. Does that make me a commercial curmudgeon?

Honored Contributor

My tv's have mute buttons.  I thought all tv's had them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some of us like rap music and hip hop, too. I like the new Rakuten commercial with that lady spoofing Salt-N-Pepa's "Whatta Man" .

I love that commercial....Rakuten, rakuten, rakuten....yes she did...

@SilleeMee 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I had to run something back today.  I caught the end of a commercial and thought "What did that say?"

Yes Jif peanut butter is now "Jif'fin".  And we all know what that really is saying.  How charming for kiddie food. 

How come @Sooner ?  What does a word become when you add the ing behind it?  Your'e reaching here a little bit.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's not necessarily true.  It depends on the marketing agency.  Some music is just because they want to use it.  When they use the voices of famous people in commercials who are they targeting?  Anyone who is in ear shot!

I know a lot of distinctive voices and music in commercials that are not geared toward younger folk.  It's just a commercial for anyone @chrystaltree .  A lot of it is for food.  Spicey cheetos; two commercials feature iconic rappers J. Balvin in one and Nelly in another.  People of all ages eat cheetos.

Esteemed Contributor

Geico has that commercial with the old group called Tag Team, oop there it is and the mother and father start dancing as they pour chocolate over ice cream.  That's one example of a commercial being geared toward anyone.