Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ran Out of Advil - Ques on Aleve

For future reference; I take 1- 600mg of prescription Ibuprofin 2X daily (in addition to my pain meds) for my back. IB works best on joints. (yes advil has IB). But Id check w the Dr. because I wouldnt want to steer you wrong!. Also take with food, always! I hope you get relief of knee pain.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lotus wrote:

@betteb wrote:

No take them both together. Aleve was naprosen when it first came out by prescription and the dosing instructions were to take 2 and then 1 daily.

Now, I can take  2 once in awhile and get some relief, but it does nothing for me, taken on a regular basis.

Have you tried an ice pack on your knee for a few minutes? That's my advise (bone on bone knee) 2 Aleve and an ice pack. Hope you feel better soon.

betteb.....you've taken two at the same time?

So, 2 Aleve is equal to 1 Naprosen?   Is that the same as Naproxin?

Yes, 2 at the same time, yes the same as Naproxin.

Check the miligrams per pill on the Aleve bottle and follow this dosing from drugs.com

Initial: 250 mg to 500 mg (naproxen) or 275 mg to 550 mg (naproxen sodium) orally twice a day.

Here is the suggested maintenance from the same site

Maintenance: May be increased to a daily maximum of 1500 mg (naproxen) or 1650 mg (naproxen sodium) in 2 divided doses, for limited periods up to 6 months. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

They're 220mg each.

I took one then waited a half hour and took another......I think I'll be fine.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Trusted Contributor

I have lower back pain and also knee pain. I take 4 Advil each morning. Aleve did absolutely nothing for my pain. Advil at 70 years works for me. Hope you feel better soo(.also have high blood pressure. no problem with Advil)

Valued Contributor

I agree with the poster who warned about the stomach issues when taking 2 aleve at a time. For me, after taking aleve for a few doses even one at a time, my stomach started to hurt, even taking it with food. Everyone is different of course, but taking it with food would be my recommendation as a precaution.

Trusted Contributor

Some people have bad reactions to Aleve, so I would recommend buying a very small bottle to see if you are one of them before you invest in a large supply.

Good luck with your knee. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Wow I just got to work after walking four blocks and I'm getting ready to take an Aleve for my knee now that I ate breakfast before the pain kicks into high gear.  I saw a post yesterday but can't find it now that said Aleve causes swelling in the ankles which I experienced even though I don't take it often I'm trying to stick with Tylenol 500mg which of course I ran out of and will have to go to the store to pick up some later.

I had arthroscopic kneee surgery about 15 years ago and this past winter being one of our coldest really did something.   I had an xray done so I have to meet with my doctor first thing after the holiday to see what is going on and what needs to be done besides losing weight.

I keep an ice pack at work just in case and at home so that I can elevate my knee and put the ice pack on until it calms down but Aleve really works for me and sometimes I use Icy hot or a similiar product.

Good luck to all those with knee pain

Esteemed Contributor

I am a nurse and had arthroscopic surgery to both shoulders and one knee. My orthopedist who is tops in his field at a major teaching hospital in NYC always cautioned me about the use of ibuprofen, especially Advil. Just because medications are OTC doesn't mean they are innocuous. You can have quite a problem with prolonged use. He advised me to take Aleeve over Advil as you take less and he felt, it was equally effective. Of course, if you need an inflammatory under doctor's advice, you must take it for pain. But, he felt ice, patches etc other modalities should be used first.
Respected Contributor

Thanks again to those who posted after I went to bed.

I ended up taking one Aleve and then another after a half hour as the directions stated.   I had no stomach problem and it did help a little.   Not as good as the Advil though.

I have some patches that were for my lower back....I forgot I had them.....going to try them today.  

I try not to take the Advil everyday....just when the pain is really bad.   We had such a damp/wet June, and I think that really affected the pain.

I'll be p/u some Advil later!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

I truely feel for you as I had to have knee replacement surgery. My doc at the time said do not take Avril but take Aleve and it worked wonderfully.. 2 a day. Now that I have had the surgery I'm perfect. The hardest part was going to a nursing home for 14 days for recovery. Golden Ages. Awful.Would never agree to that again.