Respected Contributor

Re: Ramp up safety grocery shopping

@SaggingGal   . You didn't ask for advice but here it is.  

Don't go during senior hours. I tried that once and found out that I would be better off shopping in the morning after the seniors were out and the next crowd wasn't up yet. And I say this as a 70 year old senior. 

I don't take anything in the store but a credit card, reading glasses, a tissue and a tiny bottle of sanitizer. All of which fits. in my pocket. List in hand and mask on my face. 

There are ways to avoid other shoppers. We are all trying to stay away from each other. 

I guess I am fortunate that the Publix where I shop requires all employees to wear masks. They have installed plexiglass shields at all checkout counters to protect both employee and customer. An employee is stationed at the entrance wiping down all carts. I would guess that 95% of customers are wearing masks.

Could you find another grocery store?  

Trusted Contributor

Oh my, sounds like a nightmare....I've been going every two weeks to my market....not too many issues, by now they have it pretty organized....you can't get in without a mask on, last week they had a security guard at the door😜 I have noticed that no one is wearing gloves anymore. 50% are  following the arrows on the aisles.  I usually do self checkout, just less people handling my groceries, but they never have enough of them open.  I never did get into the delivery option as every time I tried to pick a time it wouldn't let me so I gave up.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karie2022 wrote:

Oh my, sounds like a nightmare....I've been going every two weeks to my market....not too many issues, by now they have it pretty organized....you can't get in without a mask on, last week they had a security guard at the door😜 I have noticed that no one is wearing gloves anymore. 50% are  following the arrows on the aisles.  I usually do self checkout, just less people handling my groceries, but they never have enough of them open.  I never did get into the delivery option as every time I tried to pick a time it wouldn't let me so I gave up.

Gloves still get contaminated and are basically the same as hands. The only reason I wear gloves in the supermarket is so I can take those contaminated gloves off right before I get in my car.

As far as the arrows go they aren't necessarily the greatest idea.  If you need an item closer to your end of an aisle but the arrow is facing the opposite direction from you, that means you'd have to walk all the way down another aisle in the right direction that you may not have needed to walk down in order to get to the aisle you need to and walk all the way down that aisle to get your item.  That's an unnecessary amount of walking around and unnecessary exposure. The idea is to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Super Contributor

In Kentucky, as of 5/11, everyone will be asked to wear a mask in public.  Exceptions if you're on your own property or out walking/running for exercise and keep your distance from anyone else.

However:  "While businesses and grocery stores will have the ability to deny service to unmasked people, Beshear said people who do not wear masks in public will not be cited or arrested."

Just wondering how many people will do as "asked".  Smiley Frustrated  I hope the businesses require a mask to enter their stores.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

@Deree I totally agree with you on this. Was at WM yesterday & trying to follow the arrows. Was at end of one aisle and saw the coffee I needed right close to where I was standing but THAT aisle was exit only so had to walk all the way down asile I was in & walk down  coffee aisle just to get my item. (not that the extra walk would hurt me--lol)  But like you said, it means spending extra time in the store when trying to get in and out quickly.