Trusted Contributor

Re: Raining in the Southwest !

Ok Q friends, everyone blow on those rain clouds and make them come up to the northeast!

Everyone was so happy last winter when we got hardly any snow? and then a dry spring? Yea, well now we are in a terrible drought.

No outdoor water use, FOR ANYTHING. The farmers are crying. All their crops are either tiny, or dying, or already dead. Can't irrigate.

REALLY unusual for the northeast. All those mountains of snow make for enough water.

Blow ladies....blow the rain north!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy We need at least 8 inches of rain to get permission to water all the brown crunchy 'grass' everyone has.

Honored Contributor

Really ? The image I have of the Northeast is snow and lots of it like in Boston where you see it covering the houses,etc.

I'm really shocked it's ever dry up there. Always raining in New York, too, it seems.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  Don't you put gutters on homes there? Look at that water pouring off that roof!  How do you get in the door without getting soaked?

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch Here in western Pa we have had lots of rain. The crops in the fields are so high! The tomatoes are huge and so delicious! My flowers have overgrown their pots and are crawling across the ground. We have all the rain we need.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Little story to tell on myself :  

When we first moved down here from Southern Ind to Amarillo, Tx they were building our house while we were still up in Ind. This was 2010.

So, we get down here met with the builder and toured the house went outside and I said "you didn't put gutters any where "! My husband said "yeah, I noticed that too, did U forget"?   Builder said "You all ain't gonna need no gutters".   ROFLMAO   We thought we got took.

Now, we know what he was talking about and 1 more thing we wanted WHITE shutters he goes "you sure"? I said, "why yeah it would look good on this reddish brick".   He goes Ok, your the boss.  He never mentioned the fly poo.   Oh, that's why everybody up and down the St. has BLACK shutters. wahhhhhhhhh

End of Nov. I go out and scrub down with scrubbing bubbles.

e5028380.gif

@SharkE  I don't have gutters on my house either except over the front door.  I don't think we have excess flies either.  I have no mosquitoes or fleas on my dogs.

What in the world enticed you to retire in Amarillo?  Generally it's not considered a garden spot.  We have a lot of retirees here because it's beautiful, there's a lot to see and do, we usually have mild weather with just a little snow that melts before noon, we have excellent medical facilities and the advantages of a metro area with a relatively low cost of living.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Can't speak for Az. but in Amarillo, Tx property taxes are high, but, no State income tax out of your pay check. They freeze your prop. tax when you hit 65. Electric is high here because they slap that stupid 'gas usage' charge on you that means they charge you 1/3 of your bill for their gas usage. For example: if your bill is 100 (LOL)they charge you 33 extra on your bill  so besides other taxes you will have 33 added on. Ours was 271 this month and we thought that was a bargain ! It had got up to 108 some days and 105 a couple of days and with our thermostat on the wall at 78 and not turning it on till noon till 9.

Winter gas isn't bad, praise the almighty. Hardly over 100. We keep it on 68 in winter. Those blue skies are beautiful in winter compared to up in Ind. where it can stay dark and dreary for wks. on end. Ice will freeze your electric lines and make you lose electricity, so, now your furnace blower won't work. Mailman , can't get thru either. Husband fell on ice getting out to mailbox threw his hip out. chiropractor got him back to rights.  Bunch of headaches when you live where it's  bad in winter.

Sales tax is 8.25% compared to 7 think it is up in A217396.

We went to Santa Fe, New Mexico and sure wouldn't live there thank U.

you have to bring your own bags to the groc and to shop at regular Mall stores. They will charge you a nickel per sack/bag ! Ridiculous ! We couldn't get out of there fast enough. LOL

Santa Fe has a population of wealthy, educated aging hippies who are very Eco-conscious.  Many people feel we should be controlling the amount of disposables that goes into landfills.  They voted to charge for plastic bags to discourage their use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

just discouraged us from buying LOL

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Little story to tell on myself :  

When we first moved down here from Southern Ind to Amarillo, Tx they were building our house while we were still up in Ind. This was 2010.

So, we get down here met with the builder and toured the house went outside and I said "you didn't put gutters any where "! My husband said "yeah, I noticed that too, did U forget"?   Builder said "You all ain't gonna need no gutters".   ROFLMAO   We thought we got took.

Now, we know what he was talking about and 1 more thing we wanted WHITE shutters he goes "you sure"? I said, "why yeah it would look good on this reddish brick".   He goes Ok, your the boss.  He never mentioned the fly poo.   Oh, that's why everybody up and down the St. has BLACK shutters. wahhhhhhhhh

End of Nov. I go out and scrub down with scrubbing bubbles.

e5028380.gif

@SharkE  I don't have gutters on my house either except over the front door.  I don't think we have excess flies either.  I have no mosquitoes or fleas on my dogs.

What in the world enticed you to retire in Amarillo?  Generally it's not considered a garden spot.  We have a lot of retirees here because it's beautiful, there's a lot to see and do, we usually have mild weather with just a little snow that melts before noon, we have excellent medical facilities and the advantages of a metro area with a relatively low cost of living.

LOL That's true. You can blame this on hubbo.

Climate was dryer, home costs were comparable to Evansville, In

you can buy whole lot of home at reasonable price. Winters are not as harsh as up in Ind. Yeah, you have snow and ice, but, doesn't last that long when that hot Tx sun comes out and melts it all off in few days compared to wks or one time we had a iced driveway for a month.  We wanted to stay away from Fl. now, sure glad we did with the warnings out about the mosquito virus. I don't know if that just affects pregnant women or everybody. Fl. is to humid and windy all the time, other factors I won't mention.

Conservative area. As long as you don't knock the cows your alright. Strong religious values mostly Baptist. Reason we have flys so bad, is a farmer keeps cows not to far from us. He only turns them loose couple of times a yr. in the field. I'm in country suburb we have no use for city life.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SharkE  Don't you put gutters on homes there? Look at that water pouring off that roof!  How do you get in the door without getting soaked?

That picture was from my walk out patio/ back yard. It evaporates fast just runs off the roof at the angles of the house doesn't have time to pool  before it's gone. 

Nobody here has gutters they don't consider it necessary don't rain that much.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@151949 wrote:

That picture was from my walk out patio/ back yard. It evaporates fast just runs off the roof at the angles of the house doesn't have time to pool  before it's gone. 

Nobody here has gutters they don't consider it necessary don't rain that much.

So how do you get out the door without getting soaked?