Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rain, rain , rain and more rain.

@151949We're in FL and having a delightful time in spite of the rain. Tourism is going strong from what I'm able to tell. Hotels are booked, venues are packed, restaurants are full, art museums and galleries are bringing in the usual amount of people, Ybor City was great fun yesterday and the night life in Tampa was good. Granted, everyone would have enjoyed beach-time, but fun is what you make of a vacation. We'll have fun anywhere and anytime. My DIL has never been to many of the art museums and is loving them: took her to DALI and Museum of Fine Arts for a quick tour. We'll return for a leisurely viewing later. Rain doesn't cramp our style. We have noticed the traffic is a bit lighter! I'm getting around Tampa and St. Pete easily and without trouble, but my son suggested we each rent an SUV, rather than my favorite vehicle. I agreed to change my rental due to the weather. 

What is crazy to us is: How do your towels, linens and bedding feel dry? Everything feels damp to us. We're turning on the heat in our rooms!! It's crazy.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

The AC removes the dampness from the house. We are nice and cozy inside. 

Per the Sarasota local news last evening a lot of people were cancelling their hotel reservations for the weekend.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They just said on the news that our area got 7" in a few hours. WHEW. It has stopped for now but everything sure looks soggy out there. Flood warnings are out.

It's amazing all my plants are just perky as can be.Wind & rain didn't bother them at all.

Trusted Contributor

@151949....I sure wish you could send some of your rain to central AZ.... we are in extreme drought conditions.... some of the state parks are closed.... many have fire restrictions and campers can only use propane to cook with..... they have to be creative in making s-mores!

Respected Contributor

@game-on wrote:

@151949....I sure wish you could send some of your rain to central AZ.... we are in extreme drought conditions.... some of the state parks are closed.... many have fire restrictions and campers can only use propane to cook with..... they have to be creative in making s-mores!

@game-on  Yes I am in Az also...Super bad with no rain, & none in sight.

I have never seen the state so dry, I don't want to think about the fire danger that the beautiful Mountain area's face... 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

the venues & the Dali Museum is one of my favorite day trips. I went to Chuilily  (sp) a few months ago - the glasswork is unbelievable.  There are lots to see & do in St. Pete/Tampa. 

As for the beach, I try to head to Clearwater early am (or forget about getting parking space)-- enjoy a few hours before the afternoon storms.  Today, was a perfect day a little overcast but didn't rain til around 3.  We had a nice lunch at Frenchy's on the beach.

Enjoy your vaca!

Esteemed Contributor

We are in SW Florida - about 2 to 3 hours south of you @151949.  Wow, 13 straight days of rain!!  We haven't had that.  It has been predicted, but we haven't gotten much until today.  We have off and on showers today. 

We have walked on the beach everyday for the last 3 months (including the last 13 days) and it has been sunny.  We often laugh at the forcasts. 

This day was an 80% chance of rain:

20180523_111314.jpeg

We did get a few sprinkles that night. 

And so it goes in Paradise........at least it is to us!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@151949  That's a lot of rain!   We had one full day of rain last week and now we are in the high 80's and low 90's.  We completely lost Spring (did not have one).  All my flowers are planted so I am happy.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It drizzled here all morning with dense cloud cover then about an hour ago the real rain started. I saw our local TV station on facebook and the flooding has started in my little town. Some streets are closed, I'm sure there will be more of that to come.The lake behind our house has overflowed onto the grassy area between it and the sidewalk on the shore opposite of where the homes are, but people are still walking dogs over there so it must not be too bad. The wind is also picking up. They said on the news that the biggest danger from these tropical storms is when they spark off tornadoes.

Respected Contributor

We have had three days of almost no rain after a solid week here in Central Florida. Our lake is way up. If we get the downpours talked about.....yikes, I don't want to think about it. It will be up to the main deck on our dock.  Smiley Sad