Honored Contributor

Re: Rain, rain , rain and more rain.

[ Edited ]

@brandiwine wrote:

I wish we could share your rain.  Very, very dry here in Colorado.  Fire danger is high or extreme even in our mountains.

I'm in Colorado, too. Seems there is always a high danger for fires. This entire weekend will be a 'fire weather watch' event. Some of the mountain communities have already placed a ban on fireworks sales ahead of the 4th. We've seen our share of wildfires here in my area and many most are started by careless people.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Yes, mother nature doesn't do a very good job of evening things out does she? It's always one extreme or the other. Many of our neighbors haven't bought flood insurance and they are up north now - keep calling us or sending us e mails worrying about the lake flooding. Fortunately it floods on the other side. It has flooded a couple times already since we've lived here, but I suppose some people don't remember that.

While I do understand people being concerned about their home flooding, what would they expect you to do about it...you have your own home to worry about.

No matter what method of transportation they used to get home, the damage could already be done by the time they did get back.

Respected Contributor

Presently, we are having nice weather in SE VA but recently it has been very rainy with more predicted for next week.  Last week, while looking out the window, it looked like I was in a car wash - crazy!  I did take advantage of the yucky weather and do a total closet purge and reorganization!  Stay safe!

Honored Contributor

ugh

I feel for you, we went through this all this month, finally getting warm

I think I can put away the electric blankets

Honored Contributor

I think we got out April showers in May. We didn't have them in April, we had cold and more cold

Esteemed Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

I wish we could share your rain.  Very, very dry here in Colorado.  Fire danger is high or extreme even in our mountains.

Same is true here in California where the talk is now about water rationing as we're heading back into another drought. Sorry to those who have so much water that they're flooding. Neither one is a good thing! Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

We had a late season blizzard on April 14. Since then, rain has averaged under an inch week so it's been just right. Getting 20 inches of snow to melt took over a week.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@brandiwine wrote:

Same is true here in California where the talk is now about water rationing as we're heading back into another drought. Sorry to those who have so much water that they're flooding. Neither one is a good thing! Smiley Sad

Drought is not a good thing but at least it doesn't destroy your home like flooding . We had fire warnings 2 weeks ago but it's so wet here now you couldn't start a fire if you wanted to. 

My heart breaks for the poor homeless people with no where to go to keep dry.

And , of course, those in the tourism industry will be hit hard with it raining all 3 days of a holiday weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

Agreed @151949, but drought is very destructive as well. The heat soars here in summer leaving animals, vegetation, and crops, to die. Just this week I spent several thousands of dollars to trim the dead branches off my pine trees and medicate them against bark beetle that runs rampant here when trees are left weak and dry. Now I am headed out to make sure they're getting enough water for which I will be charged another inordinate amount of money.

This isn't a one-upsmanship post...just to say drought is no picnic either (which you acknowledged) but just to say there is much to be lost in both drought and flood. I wish you blue skies and sunshine in your future which sounds like isn't coming soon enough. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

It has been raining for about an hour. The front half of our lanai the puddle is so deep it's flowing thru the screen out onto the yard.I believe the lanai screen frame is 3" so it is > 3" in order to flood out, and that is in just one hour.Thank goodness the part of the lanai close to the house is under a roof or it would be coming in the door.