Honored Contributor

Re: Ragu Old World Traditional versus Prego Traditional. What’s your opinion?

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Don't care for either one, but of those two I'd go with Ragu, since Prego is way too sweet for me.

The gram count is basically the same but Prego has added sugars, whatever that is but Ragu does not.

I used Hunt's forever in my lean years but "upgraded" to Prego.

I get it though about the sugar.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Ragu Old World Traditional versus Prego Traditional. What’s your opinion? 

Prego, the best

Trusted Contributor

You all will probably think I'm nuts, but my favorite spaghetti sauce is the one you make with tomatoe paste that comes with Kraft Spaghetti Classics.  

I'm alone now, and the little box makes just the perfect amount for me, for under a dollar.  Comes with the seasoning for the sauce, parmesan cheese, and dry spaghetti.  You add the tomatoe paste and it is a tangy sauce that is not too sweet. 

I add about half a pound of ground beef to it and there is something about it the next day that is even better. 

I remember telling a co-worker about this being my favorite a couple of years ago, and she said that was the only kind they had when she was growing up and it was still her favorite, too. 

Honored Contributor

raos.....michaels of brooklyn.....stonewall kitchen are my preferred jarred sauces.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Prego anything over Ragu anything for me.  I love Prego's pizza sauce as well. They are just thicker with all their sauces than Ragu.  Ragu tastes like ketchup to me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

The last time I had Ragu, my stepmom served it and I could barely eat it, it was so salty. I thought she had oversalted the pasta water, so I got a jar to taste it, because my Mom used to serve it. I threw it out. Oregon is a bit better, but I go with Classico.

Honored Contributor

Mid's.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

Ragu Old World Traditional versus Prego Traditional. What’s your opinion? 

Ragu.  Prego has an after taste.  I can jazz up Ragu if I choose to.  It's a good simple sauce that I can add my own touches to.

Honored Contributor

Based on serving size of 1/2 cup:

Prego is toooo sweet with 10g of sugar....

Rago Old World Traditional has 7g of sugar....

Instead of sugar its better to use 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for 1 cup of sauce, then the sauce isn't so sweet....

Here's a consumer rating blog

59. Ragu

In Italy, "ragu'' means sauce made with meat. Ragu the company traces its roots to Assunta Cantisano, who in 1914 left Naples, bound for America "with little more than her family's pasta sauce recipe to her name,'' according to the company website.

What the label says: "Delicious, hearty & filling.''

Old World Style Flavored with Meat: It's not awful; kind of laboratory-grade tomatoes. Tastes like something they'd serve in the high school cafeteria.

Simply Traditional: Banish this immediately to the Island of Lost Sauces. Better than Hunt's, but barely.

58. Prego

Prego is part of the Camden-based Campbell Soup Co., which also owns Pepperidge Farm, Swanson's, and Goldfish crackers, among other brands.

What the label says: "Prego Farmers Market sauces use ingredients you'd find at your local farmers' markets, like vine-ripened tomatoes picked at the peak of freshness.''

Prego Farmers Market Classic Marinara: Serviceable, nothing special, better than regular Prego.

Italian Sausage & Garlic: I cringed when this sauce hit my lips. Points for the real sausage, I guess, even if they look and taste sketchy.

Personally I prefer GIA RUSSA Hot Silician---4G sugar

26. Gia Russa

Gia Russa, founded in 1948, is "the maker of the world's most sought after pasta sauces and Italian specialties,'' according to the company.

What the label says: "Gia Russa's vision has been to create a family of select sauces made from classic Italian recipes.''

Hot Sicilian: Hot peppers bring the heat. Not really an arrabbiata but a marinara with serious attitude. I liked it a lot.

Marinara: A middling marinara; their Hot Sicilian is so much better.

1. Classico

Classico, which offers two dozen pasta sauces, is distinguished by its Mason jars.

What the label says: "Authentic Italian flavors, carefully-crafted ingredients, time-honored recipes.''

Classico Riserva Marinara: Thick, hearty, fresh, tomatoey. The best marinara sauce sampled.

Tomato & Basil: Tart and tasty. Bursting with flavor.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/01/152c8fd81f4792/65-major-pasta-sauce-b...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

Until recently, Ragu was owned by Unilever, which tests on animals, so I wouldn't buy it. Now it's owned by a Japanese food company, which hopefully doesn't... So maybe I'll try it again after 30 years and be able to answer this question! :-)