Honored Contributor

RUSSIA: Unclear On The Concept!

Unbelievable {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Russian Officials Defend Decrepit Facilities By Citing Surveillance Footage INSIDE HOTEL SHOWERS

Journalists, spectators, and athletes in town for the Sochi Olympics (which start today) have been reacting to their unfinished hotel rooms, dirty water, and unfamiliar lavatory setups with a mix of amusement and frustration on social media. Less genial are the Russian officials tasked with running the games, who have begun accusing their detractors of deliberately sabotaging the Olympic village in an effort to embarrass Russia. And they can prove it too, thanks to the surveillance cameras installed in visitors’ showers.

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/02/06/3258901/russian-officials-defend-decrepit-facilities-cit...

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Re: RUSSIA: Unclear On The Concept!

Unbelievable is RIGHT. {#emotions_dlg.scared} I hope the next time an Olympic venue is chosen, the committee picks one whose living conditions are in the 21st century.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

The poor athletes, how can they perform at an optimum level AND enjoy their (for many) once in a lifetime experience with all this krap going on? Pun intended.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I'm really wondering what the Olympic Committee was thinking when they chose this venue. Didn't anybody do some thorough research before Sochi was chosen?

Honored Contributor

Maybe some of these running showers were people trying to "flush" their water system. Well, it didn't flush the water, but it flused out some "bugs". We can't make them look bad .... they have already done it themselves.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

On 2/6/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

Yeah, I'm really wondering what the Olympic Committee was thinking when they chose this venue. Didn't anybody do some thorough research before Sochi was chosen?

My husband and I just had this conversation. I wonder if someone has a big fat off-shore back account now.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

The fact that Russian officials are watching what is done in the bathroom is mindblowing {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Whatever were they thinking? They're so cavalier about letting the world know, too. The parents of young women must be having a fit over this... the parents of the young men, too.

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder about the Olympics Committee that decides these venues-- was it Russia's turn to host a winter olympics??

I feel badly for the olympic players and the journalists who must do their assignments in deplorable conditions. Sounds like there is some corruption going on there too because Russia claims there was money budgeted to upgrade the area to accommodate the Olympians.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2014 PurpleBunny said:
On 2/6/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

My husband and I just had this conversation. I wonder if someone has a big fat off-shore back account now.

We did, too. I was under the impression that Olympic officials oversaw the plans and construction. I know when they built in California that was true.

Was the fact that they didn't have Sochi built and ready to go not a red flag?

And what about the Russians themselves? Haven't any of them been outside the country to see what decent accommodations look like?

Respected Contributor

On 2/6/2014 JustJazzmom said:

I have to wonder about the Olympics Committee that decides these venues-- was it Russia's turn to host a winter olympics??

I feel badly for the olympic players and the journalists who must do their assignments in deplorable conditions. Sounds like there is some corruption going on there too because Russia claims there was money budgeted to upgrade the area to accommodate the Olympians.

I'm sure there was plenty of money at the start of the project, but every news report has mentioned the corruption in that country, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. In fact, I wouldn't put it past them to pay off members of the Olympic Committee to guarantee that they were chosen in the first place. {#emotions_dlg.devil2} They might be shooting themselves in the foot, because it will most likely be a cold day you-know-where before Russia is chosen again.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James