Honored Contributor

Re: ROYAL BABY TO BE BORN IN LOS ANGELES?

Where you live doesn't determine if you are a citizen...jeez......
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@brandiwine wrote:

I guess I didn't know the National Inquirer is still in business!  I'm looking out my window right now for aliens.  Thanks for the laugh!!!! 

Oh yes like the absurd story they printed about John Edwards!  How silly.  Oh wait, wasn't silly!  Was true!  

My point is you don't know what to believe in this day and age.  Don't believe the story, but nothing shocks me now days.   And what news source publishes it doesn't matter either.  You've got news anchors in copters that were shot, not true, and the Enquirer breaking an important story.  So who knows what to believe now.  It's all entertaniment anyway. 

In all fairness, though, I looked and they've been in business since 1926 -- yet this Edwards story seems to be the only one that always shows up as the publication getting something right.    They have a dismal track record and not many laurels to rest upon.   I agree, we have to research for ourselves and look to multiple sources and read in depth rather than going for the quick and click-baity sound bites that seem to inform so much of the population.   I worry that we've become lazy when it comes to getting to the truth.😟

@dooBdoo  They had to calm down after Carol Burnette sued them. 

Pesonally I prefer Weekly World News.

Image result for bat boy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Yikes!  @Cakers3, That’s pretty scary!  Another “reliable source” for our reference library...  

laughing

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

If the baby is born in LA, the baby will have dual citizenship with an American mother and British father; the child then chooses before age 18 which citizenship to renounce and which one to keep.
Honored Contributor

She is still a US citizen unless she has renounced it and applied to become a British citizen.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
If the baby is born in LA, the baby will have dual citizenship with an American mother and British father; the child then chooses before age 18 which citizenship to renounce and which one to keep.

@lovesrecess

the baby will be a dual citizen no matter where he or she is born. mom is american, dad is british. there is no need to necessarily renounce citizenship because the UK recognizes dual citizenship.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

More made up junk news.

Meghan can register a foreign birth abroad with the U.S. consulate in London if she wants her child to be a U.S. citizen. There's no requirement for her to do so if she doesn't want her child to be a U.S. citizen. She also can do it later on before the child turns 18 years old, so there's no rush. She doesn't have to give birth in the U.S. either for her child to be a U.S. citizen if she herself is a U.S. citizen born in the U.S.

Esteemed Contributor

Time

Will Meghan and Harry's Royal Baby Have Dual U.S.-U.K. Citizenship?

With a British father and an American mother, the child might ordinarily expect to be able to apply for dual U.S.-U.K. citizenship, no matter in which country it is born. But is that the case for a royal?

Under U.S. law, a child born outside of the U.S. and in wedlock can gain U.S. citizenship if its American parent has lived in the United States for at least five years. According to the State Department, two of the years spent living in the U.S must be after the age of 14.

The Duchess of Sussex was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and only relocated last year around the time of her wedding announcement. Therefore, under these legal definitions, their child would be entitled to apply for American citizenship.

But it is unclear for how much longer Markle will herself hold U.S. citizenship. Though the royal family has been quiet about her plans, if Markle were to maintain dual citizenship she might be subject to IRS audit. This would have the potential to expose the royal family’s personal finances, which they have long kept private. As a result, she is highly likely to renounce her American citizenship as a precautionary measure.

Yet Meghan has several hoops to jump through before becoming fully British. Like any American marrying into a British visa, the former Suits actress must stay on an “indefinite leave to remain” status for at least 12 months before she can begin her journey towards citizenship. She will also be expected to take a citizenship test, which has been taken two million times since its launch in 2005.

Honored Contributor

tenor (1).gif

Trusted Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity  LOL