Valued Contributor

ROBOTS...IN RETAIL!!!!

[ Edited ]

Forget "Robots from Outer Space".

They're already here. 

And they can be found on 1st Floor, Ladies Accessories!!

ROBOTS working retail.

Watch out, QVC hosts. That's how it starts.

Oh, these robots come in working some entry level position, like, this one in Tokyo.

"Aiko Chihira" starts as a "lowly" receptionist for Mitsukoshi department store.

But we know she has plans. BIG PLANS.

Plans to take over the world!!!

Why, with one simple programming change, she's speaking English.

And with another simple flip of a switch, she's suddenly presenting Temptations at QVC!!!!!!

And with a supplemental tweak she's on facebook showing how she incorporates the TSV into her everyday (artificial-) lifestyle!!

ITS A PLOT I TELLS YAS!!

What I love about "Aiko" is that while she is programmed to be a department store receptionist, she is not programmed to take either customers' questions or complaints.

So she should fit right into the world of retail these days. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s95ZGQKl96k

Honored Contributor

Re: ROBOTS...IN RETAIL!!!!

[ Edited ]

@surfk  "Watch out QVC hosts, that's how it starts"...im0168.gif

I was thinking about all the greeters in the stores that drive me crazy. I am a friendly social person, but I don't want to say hi to everyone I meet when I go to stores. It is becoming more common practice that businesses personnel be friendly toward customers. There are times I have had a conversation with several before I am finally checking out my purchases. It actually wastes my time!

It also drives me crazy when the CS is right there at the door...not only to greet you, but to ask you if you need help and you have just set foot in their door. I'm one of those shoppers, if I need help, I'll ask...geesh

I woudn't be surprised if that is one of the places we'll see the robots here in the US...WM may ask to have them mass produced!

Respected Contributor

Im with you Susan!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

Cheaper labor. No sick time, no vacation time, no time off to be with the kids, no raises. I am expecting more robots in the future if the minimum wage goes to $15.00. Once the initial cost of buying one is done the costs are a lot less than a real person. 

Trusted Contributor

I've heard they are going to start using them in fast food places.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Regular Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

Well, then maybe orders will be correct for a change.....just what isn't clear about "no onions" please.

Valued Contributor

They were saying that the real market in the beginning will most likely be the hospitality industry.  They'll be places in hotels and tourist sites (such as guides at museums).

They'll replace your front desk check-in persons.

Every traveler wants to be greeted by a pleasant face even at 3 in the morning.

And that obviously can't always be guaranteed coming from a live human being apparently. lol

Of course, they'd have to program the robots to take questions...and complaints if they're to work the front desk.

I wonder how hotels or corporations would handle that aspect of things?

Unless the whole thing turns very "Westworld" suddenly, how does a robotic front desk clerk kick a trouble-maker out of the lobby?

Either they'd have to be programmed to call in Security to kick the jerk out.

Orrrrr sweet little "Aiko" would have to be programmed to suddenly pull a giant Samurai sword out from behind the front desk and raise it high above her head. And with a "pleasant" expression and well-modulated voice be programmed to say, "Please exit the hotel immediately. Please exit the hotel immediately. Please exit the hotel immediately..."

Honored Contributor

@anisa wrote:

@morganjen wrote:

Well, then maybe orders will be correct for a change.....just what isn't clear about "no onions" please.

@anisa  IK, right?! LOL

Respected Contributor

Twenty years ago I watched while a giant company moved in large robots that do the work of hundreds ofpeople.   I watched them set it up and did a test run to see if it worked ok.   The next day it was up and running.   That told me that the  future was there and other kinds of businesses will be doing the same thing.   Also companies that build cars have been using robots for years.   Any large or small moving metal part that handles work that humans have been doing is a robot.  

In the future robots will be inside humans.  Not just a inplant but a robot.  Already companines are making robots that look like a human.  I can see marriage out the door.  Life is changing big time.  

Trusted Contributor

Not a shock.  Wages, matching SSI, OC or fines that you can't write off, electric rates going through the roof...there has to be some blowback.  

OC/wages may kill off 20% of the restaurants, and family/casual will go kiosks.  One plan is to place orders and pay via the table's tablet, and the only time you see a person is if you pay cash, or when the "runner" brings your drinks or food.  One person could handle 10 or more tables rather than 3-4.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.