Trusted Contributor

Re: RN's--How will your hospital deal with a symptomatic Ebola patient????

On 10/15/2014 straykatz said:
On 10/15/2014 Preds said:
On 10/15/2014 straykatz said:
On 10/15/2014 happy housewife said:

It isn't just nurses who ahve to deal with this - it is all the staff.

Exactly.

Yes, they have probably been thru three or more hospital people before they ever get to the nurse.

Yep...1st you get to talk to the woman who takes your name and asks what's wrong...then you get taken to the person who checks for your insurance/ability to pay...then you get your temp/bp taken....then you get taken to the er bed...then the er nurse takes over...dr sees you....blood work is usually drawn....possible xrays/ct scan if needed...and so on....that is before you even get any diagnosis....that makes at least 6 or more people in contact with you before they even know what is wrong with you.....and if you were trasported by ambulance then there is the EMT team too or some other individual who may have drove you there....and how many others were sitting in the ER waiting room if you had to wait your turn?...and so on and so on.

If you're lucky, you get an ER bed. Lots of times people are just put on a gurney in the ER waiting room or a hallway depending on how many people are there.

Super Contributor

i am not a nurse either - but i know from the news this morning our local hospital was one that participated in the conference call with over 200 doctors to discuss this.

also here in Ms - a school in hazelhurst is having a big crisis! the school principal just got back from a trip to Africa (zambia) which is not a hot spot for ebola but the parents were very very upset that he was allowed back to school and they had not been told that he had traveled to Africa. they were taking kids out of schools all day long!

Respected Contributor

On 10/15/2014 shesallthat said:

i am not a nurse either - but i know from the news this morning our local hospital was one that participated in the conference call with over 200 doctors to discuss this.

also here in Ms - a school in hazelhurst is having a big crisis! the school principal just got back from a trip to Africa (zambia) which is not a hot spot for ebola but the parents were very very upset that he was allowed back to school and they had not been told that he had traveled to Africa. they were taking kids out of schools all day long!

What a horrible, uncaring person he is. Just because it is not a known hot spot doesn't mean he should have come back to school. I'd take my kids out too. I think all travel from Africa should be halted for awhile in hopes of no more spreading. We have very good friends that spend summers in Uganda on humanitarian missions, he is a university professor. He is very close to where ebola originally started when

written in the book "The Hot Zone" As much as we love them, if they had gone this summer, and wanted to come home, I would be against it for even them.That is how strong I believe it.

mm

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

I suggest the parents need as much education as the kids.

They sound pretty ignorant to me.

Honored Contributor

If there are any RN's that live in my city, I suggest your best source of reference might be to talk with those at the Nebraska Medical Center. The NBC cameraman that has Ebola is being treated there. And he got it from washing a car? Didn't know those that go along with journalists also washed cars that do not belong to them or their group. Strange.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

On 10/15/2014 terrier3 said:

as one mother stated - in this case i'd rather be overprotective & dumb than ignorant & dead!!

ICAM

Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 shesallthat said:

as one mother stated - in this case i'd rather be overprotective & dumb than ignorant & dead!!

ICAM

But those aren't the only choices...she is just plain ignorant. I feel sorry for her children.

Esteemed Contributor

I went in with flu symptoms, didn,t ask me a thing when I was registered. I haven,t traveled, was a flu shot reaction.
Super Contributor

On 10/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/16/2014 shesallthat said:

ICAM

But those aren't the only choices...she is just plain ignorant. I feel sorry for her children.

i doubt she wants anyone's sympathy! or the hundred other parents that went. they had called the school to get info but were told it was a "personnel matter" which made someone post the info on facebook trying to find out if anyone else knew about it. they could have cleared it all up from the jump but waited until all the parents started showing up to admit that yes - he had been to africa/what part. if the school had given better info they could have made better choices.

Regular Contributor

On 10/15/2014 Mama Mia said:

What a horrible, uncaring person he is. Just because it is not a known hot spot doesn't mean he should have come back to school. I'd take my kids out too. I think all travel from Africa should be halted for awhile in hopes of no more spreading. We have very good friends that spend summers in Uganda on humanitarian missions, he is a university professor. He is very close to where ebola originally started when

written in the book "The Hot Zone" As much as we love them, if they had gone this summer, and wanted to come home, I would be against it for even them.That is how strong I believe it.

mm

mm

Please look up Zambia on a map. Educate yourself. Liberia is in the Northwest of Africa, Zambia is in the south of Africa, there is no connection, no Ebola. This ignorance about Ebola and Africa and how Ebola is transmitted is an embarrassment. Please educate yourself about Ebola, how it is transmitted, where the three countries in Africa have the disease. It is like saying the principal who lives in Central America should not be allowed back because he was in Canada and on the same continent.