Honored Contributor

Re: RIVER CRUISE - CAPTAIN'S DINNER - WHAT TO WEAR?

No one wore fancy bejeweled gowns. Just skirts or some nice pants.

Frequent Contributor

Be comfortable, wear whatever you want, you will never seen these people again. The Fashion Police will not be in attendance.

Respected Contributor

Black pants, sparkly top, nice jewelry.  

Trusted Contributor

I've seen from very dressy to no different,  so I would do what ever you feel comfortable with.

Honored Contributor

I think you would look stunning in the floral dress you like for the May wedding, @Spinach30  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Little black dress, pretty jewelry and flats.  The dress can be worn for other occasions and dressed down if needed.  It always works.

Honored Contributor

I love formal night on a cruise ship as it's the only time I can break out my sequined Bob Mackie tops and swishy wide leg pants.  Truthfully, people look nice but it's really not that dressy.  I saw one couple show up in shorts...now that was NERVY and rude.  I thought they should have been asked to leave.  There were other dining venues.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

DH and I have been on 2 cruises. We specifically booked cruises that did not have a Captain's Dinner.  LOL

As an aside, you can find anwers to just about any questions on the Cruise Critic website.  It is very helpful.

Honored Contributor

I have never worn an evening gown. I would feel like a child playing dress-up. I would wear black trousers and a decent blouse.

I live by the rule expressed in another post: These are all strangers whom in all likelihood you will never see again. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

There are some people who might go on cruises to be fanciful and play dress-up and simply be different for even a period of time.  They do it for themselves, not to impress strangers.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.