Frequent Contributor

RIVER CRUISE - CAPTAIN'S DINNER - WHAT TO WEAR?

Hubby and I are going on a river cruise on the Rhine (Amsterdam to Basel) in July.  There will be a Captain's dinner upon and arrival and departure.  I know on a bigger cruise ship the Captain's dinner is quite dressy.  Does anyone know what type of dress code the Captain's dinner is on a river cruise?  

Respected Contributor

Re: RIVER CRUISE - CAPTAIN'S DINNER - WHAT TO WEAR?

Have you tried asking the same question in the Cruise Critic forums for your cruiseline? There's usually a great deal of info provided there by cruisers who are more than willing to help out. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo.
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown.
Respected Contributor

Not what I would call dressy. Anything you might wear to a nice restaurant, or a house party.  A summer dress, or pants and a dressy top. At least that is what Was worn on the river cruise I took. I wore a jersey tank dress and a dressy sweater and it was fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been on several cruises and always avoid the captains dinner. We both hate to dress up for a couple of hours let alone pack and tote that stuff. I would wear a nice shirt and black pants and flats. No gowns, heels, panty hose etc. remember you have to pack, and haul it around in your luggage. 

Honored Contributor

On the Viking River cruises, there are no formal nights...no jackets or ties required. A nice dress or pants and a blouse should be okay...button shirt and pants for your DH should work.  Wear nice shoes, no sneakers for the Captains Dinner.

Honored Contributor

I don't know specifically about river cruises but on ocean liners we skip the formal nights.  For the first few cruises we didn't mind dressing up but as a previous poster has said, it is not worthwhile to us to bring special clothing to wear a few hours a couple of nights.  Plus packing and unpacking additional items gets to be a pain.  Unless you like dressing up I would focus on cruise lines that do not require formal wear.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spinach30

I've been on a Viking River Cruise.  Some men (my husband) wore jackets and ties but many wore golf type shirts and pants.  The ladies tended to dress better in day time dresses, skirts or slacks and a nice top.

There were a few who looked like they were going touring with their jeans and sneakers.

Honored Contributor

Avalon river cruise on the Danube. Just looked nice. Husband did not bring any jackets with him. Just a collared shirt.

Honored Contributor

On the 3 river cruises I've done, we never wore truly dressy anything but we did dress a bit more than for other nights.  My cruises were fall, winter, and late spring.  I know I wore Chicio's black Travelers with pretty jewelry and dressier shoes than those I wore for touring for the Captain's Dinners and I felt I was dressed every bit as well as those around me. 

No one wore gowns - a few of the women did wear lovely silk tops and/or jackets.  I just wouldn't plan to wear jeans and sneakers and I have no idea how summer might change what some cruisers choose to wear.