Honored Contributor

Kipenzi, the baby giraffe whose birth at the Dallas Zoo on April 10 was seen live by over two million people on Animal Planet, died Tuesday after an accident at the zoo. The three-month-old giraffe was running back and forth in the yard with her half-brother Kopano, when she hit something and broke three vertebrae on her neck, Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday.

The incident happened at about 5:30 p.m. when the keepers were moving the giraffe herd to the night barn. Keepers said, according to Dallas Morning News, that there were no witnesses to the incident, which will be investigated Wednesday. The zoo announced on social media that the employees were devastated.

“Kipenzi will always remain in our hearts, and while tears are flowing freely here tonight, we are eternally grateful for the millions of smiles she gave us all,” the Dallas Zoo said on its Facebook page, adding: “Her stardom brought attention to the plight of wild giraffes in Africa, helped raise more than $35,000 for giraffe conservation and sparked conversations about her incredibly majestic species.”

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Re: RIP baby giraffe, Kipenzi

Oh boy, I am saddened to read this news.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Oh no  Smiley Sad

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I saw that, what a shame.  I love giraffes. 

Honored Contributor

So sad.  Such beautiful gentle creatures.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Such sad news! I came home from work and stumbled across the live broadcast of the birth and was transfixed until they stopped filming. I really hope Animal Planet does more of this kind of thing.

Regular Contributor

this is sad news I watched her birth I love giraffes have been very fortunate to have been on a safari and watched them in the wild nothing like it graceful beautiful animals.   

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Honored Contributor

I know zoos think they are helping animals but it would be so much better if animals meant to live in the wild (if they had to be in captivity at all) could be in very large sanctuaries instead of zoos.  It seems to me fewer incidents like this could happen - and fewer incidents like the baby gorilla killed when a cage door trapped her in San Francisco. 

The sanctuary in Tennessee for elephants is a great example.  elephants.com 

(Obviously, gorillas or other great apes would need a different type of arrangement than being "free range" like an elephant or giraffe.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

This sad news.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."