Trusted Contributor

Re: RIP John Denver Died 22 Yrs Ago Today

@goldensrbest wrote:

My son SHANE,died 21 yrs. ago  yesterday, he was only 27.

I remember that you have written about your DS Shane before.  I can't imagine a loss more painful.  I am so sorry. 

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

As a young married couple, talented John Denver rode with ius often across the state of Kansas to ski in Colorado. The 3 of us harmonized well -- such an easy artist to sing along with. Sad news the day I heard of his death and it still makes me pause. Feel the same way about Jim Croce. I was in college. He died on my birthday. Cried walking to class.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loved John Denver...

I saw him in concert twice in the mid-70's at the New Haven Coliseum...still have the ticket stubs in a scrapbook.

My fave song of his is 'Sunshine on my Shoulders' Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I will always have a special spot in my heart for John's version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane".  I was finishing up a two year tour on Okinawa (I worked for USO and everyone else in my high rise dorm was a teacher).  We would play that song at max volume and every lady on my hallway would sing it at the top of her lungs.  Fond memories!

Honored Contributor

I recall my cousin, sisters and I listening to and loving his music. I had this album at one time. This pic may look familiar to some.

image.png

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I was a fan too.  Also, he had one of the most amazing backup singers.  I don’t know her name but she was awesome.  LM

TaffyDanoff, also Bill her husband.  They wrote Take Me Home Country Roads at least the beginnings and Denver and the three of them finished it.  The Danoffs wrote my favorite Poems Prayers and Promises,  They were the Starland Vocal Band.  Anyone remember Afternoon Delight?

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

As a young married couple, talented John Denver rode with ius often across the state of Kansas to ski in Colorado. The 3 of us harmonized well -- such an easy artist to sing along with. Sad news the day I heard of his death and it still makes me pause. Feel the same way about Jim Croce. I was in college. He died on my birthday. Cried walking to class.  

Would love for you to elaborate!!!  When?  Was he performing then?  

Honored Contributor

Shawnie,

I certainly do remember "Afternoon Delight."

That tune was such a delight, wasn't it?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake wrote:

@jeanlake  I remember the exact moment I learned about Jim Croce's death. I was on a school bus...freshman yr of high school and the bus driver had the radio on with the announcement...then the DJ played 'Time in a Bottle'. Tears streamed down my face all the way home.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Shawnie,

I certainly do remember "Afternoon Delight."

That tune was such a delight, wasn't it?

@golding76  @Shawnie

Would have to be on my fave list. Cat Embarassed

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras