Honored Contributor

Re: RIP John Denver Died 22 Yrs Ago Today

@Drythe wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Shawnie,

I certainly do remember "Afternoon Delight."

That tune was such a delight, wasn't it?

@golding76  @Shawnie

Would have to be on my fave list. Cat Embarassed

@Drythe  @golding76  @Shawnie 

I bet we could all harmonize it together  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

BALTIMORE ORIOLES......7th INNING STRETCH during home games......."THANK GOD IM A COUNTRY BOY"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFbBbkAIGkE

it started in 1975 and continues today.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

A friend of mine had a parrot and whenever he played John's song Annie,the parrot sang along.  It was the most incredible thing to listen to...John's beautiful melodic voice on one side of the room where the music was playing and on the other side where the parrot sat in his cage letting out this garbled unrecognizable sound.  You had to be there.

I was a John Denver fan and his sudden death was of course a terrible shock and loss.  Reading about his songs all of you loved brought back a lot of memories.  I can almost hear him singing in my head, that beautiful, beautiful voice.  How lucky the angels are to have him singing with them.   He was gone way too soon.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

My favorite Is "I'm Sorry"

@catter70 

I tear up on that one.  I heard that he wrote this regarding the break up of his marriage.  So sad.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

So hard to believe it's been that long!  I know people say this a lot but he really was one of a kind and unique and ahead of the times.  He was overlooked by so many and made fun of, but he was so very talented and seemed so genuine in himself and his beliefs.  I can't really pick one of his songs, but a few are I'm Sorry, Sunsine on my Shoulder, Rocky Mountain High, West Virginia.  When I hear his songs being played today, they touch me more and have more meaning to me today than they did when I was much younger.  His music and talent -- timeless.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Rocky Mountain High.  One of my favourite songs of all time. John had a simple and eloquent way with a tune.  "He was born in the Summer of his 27th year.  Coming home to a place he'd never been before."  You know theres meaning in those tunes. Also love Calypso as I grew up watching The undersea world of Jaques Cousteau specials.  Ah, memories.  Miss you John.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

BALTIMORE ORIOLES......7th INNING STRETCH during home games......."THANK GOD IM A COUNTRY BOY"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFbBbkAIGkE

it started in 1975 and continues today.

@sunshine45   Interesting tidbit, but just wondering why they are doing this in Baltimore?  That's hardly a "county roads" place but rather quite urban!

Honored Contributor

1975 was the year the Orioles, at the suggestion of general manager Frank Cashen, began playing pop music to reach out to younger fans. Throughout the ’50s, ’60s and early ’70s the Orioles played “old folks” and organ music, and Cashen felt it was time for a change. So that season, public relations director Bob Brown began playing pop tunes during the seventh-inning stretch to see if anything would “take.”

Late that season, shortstop Mark Belanger and his wife, Dee, went to Brown and suggested he try “Country Boy.” The Belangers were fans and friends of Denver; they felt the song might catch on.

A simple kind of life never did me no harm, raisin’ me a family and workin’ on the farm…

And catch on it did. Fans seemed to like its peppy, toe-tapping attitude, and so did the players. Orioles’ current general manager Mike Flanagan, a Cy Young Award winner for Baltimore in 1979, said his teammates liked the song because it served as a daily wakeup call. It reminded them that if they were down, they still had nine outs and plenty of time to come back.

Flanagan remembered the song as inspirational. “The guys felt like, ‘We can do this,’ and a lot of times we did,” he said.

The fans seemed to sense their team was responding to “Country Boy” as well, and that added to its allure, enough to make it a resident seventh-inning stretch fixture at Orioles games from then on.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/story/2189/baltimore-s-seventh-inning-tradition-within-a-tradition

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  Thank you!  Glad I asked; that was really interesting!

I hardly think of Baltimore as "country" but loved the explanation.  And I do love that song. Once I hear it I can't get it out of my head for days. 

Frequent Contributor

My heart was broken the day John Denver died.  The first album I bought with my own money was Poems, Prayers and Promises.  It's so hard to pick a favorite song, but I think Matthew is it, from his album Back Home Again.

The song was inspired by John's Uncle Dean, who died in a car accident when he was 21 years old.  Uncle Dean was a just few years older than John, and had a strong influence on John.  The song lyrics take great artistic license, but the spirit of the song is in honor of his uncle.  Every time I hear it, it makes me cry.

Matthew
I had an uncle, name of Matthew, he was his father's only boy.
Born just south of Colby, Kansas, he was his mother's pride and joy.

Yes, and joy was just a thing that he was raised on,
love was just a way to live and die.
Gold was just a windy Kansas wheat field,
blue was just the Kansas summer sky.

And all the stories that he told me back when I was just a lad.
All the memories that he gave me, all the good times that he had.
Growing up a Kansas farm boy, life was mostly having fun.
Riding on his daddy's shoulders behind the mule, beneath the sun.

Well, I guess there were some hard times, and I'm told some years were lean.
They had a storm in '47, twister came and stripped 'em clean.
He lost the farm, he lost his family, he lost the wheat, he lost his home.
But he found the family bible, his faith as solid as a stone.

So he came to live at our house, and he came to work the land.
He came to ease my daddy's burden, and he came to be my friend.
So I wrote this down for Matthew, and it's for him this song is sung.
Riding on his daddy's shoulders, behind the mule, beneath the sun