Honored Contributor

RIP Freddie Mercury Nov 24, 1991

[ Edited ]
Freddie Mercury died the next day November 24th 1991  after issuing the below statement..
 this picture was from his last video he worked on.... 'These are the days of our lives'  He was very ill when making this video.  Freddi  worked on the video  on up to the day before he passed away.  It was just a year later after his death that drugs came out to help aids victims to live many years after being diagnosed with aids...

Here is the video if you want to see it... it makes me so sad each time I see him in it...

November 23rd, 1991
Freddie Mercury issued statement to the Press stating that he had AIDS:

"Following enormous conjecture in the press, I wish to confirm that I have been tested HIV positive and have AIDS. I felt it correct to keep this information private to date in order to protect the privacy of those around me. However, the time has now come for my friends and fans around the world to know the truth.
I hope that everyone will join with me, my doctors and all those worldwide in a fight against this terrible disease. My privacy has always been very special to me and I am famous for my lack of interviews.
Please understand that this policy will continue."
- Freddie Mercury
May be a black-and-white image of 1 person

Respected Contributor

Re: RIP Freddie Mercury Nov 24, 1991

@SeaMaiden   I have watched this video many times still brings tears to my eyes.  

Honored Contributor

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?"

Bohemian Rhapsody

Valued Contributor

This makes me so sad as well.  It brings me memories of my Uncle Frank whose life I feel paralleled Freddie's. We were very close and he too died of AIDS in 1993 right before all these wonderful drugs were developed to keep those afflicted alive.  It was the first time someone really close to me passed away and I remember thinking I would never smile or laugh again.  I often think of how things would be if he had just held on a bit longer, but he was too far gone.  He was only 58.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjXetWK-Ur8

You Tube.

20 minutes that will live in Infamy.

Freddie Mercury and Queen 1985 at Wembly Stadium Live Aid...he brought down the show.

My favorite on this video is Radio Gaga.

Watch the SEA of people cheering him on....amazing and never repeated.

Video name if link won't work:

Queen Full Concert Live Aid 1985 FullHD

Check it out. Turn it UP~!!!

Honored Contributor

He was such a talented man. Sadly he refused to continue taking medication and chose to live life in excess. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

He was such a talented man. Sadly he refused to continue taking medication and chose to live life in excess. 

@SilleeMee  What medication did he refuse? There was no aids medication at the time he had aids. Just curious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  What medication did he refuse? There was no aids medication at the time he had aids. Just curious.

It was meds that kept him alive. I don't know what they were but just that he stopped taking them and then died two weeks later. @SeaMaiden 

He also took AZT which was approved for use in 1987. Mercury died in 1991.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

It was meds that kept him alive. I don't know what they were but just that he stopped taking them and then died two weeks later. @SeaMaiden 

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  Ahhh....thanks for the correction.  I found THIS:

When he developed AIDS in 1986/87 there were only experimental drugs such as AZT and a couple of others ( I’m aware that there were other equally powerful drugs being tried out at that time , but maybe someone in that branch of the medical profession can explain) which were highly toxic and tended to make things more complicated whilst only buying some time for a short period, and not preventing the eventual death of those with AIDS.

Trusted Contributor

We were in London a year before the pandemic and found Freddi's home "Garden Lodge" where he lived and past away.  Mary Austin still lives there.   

There was a lovely couple from Japan there also sightseeing,  so we had them take our picture standing next to the wall where the door entrance is.