QVC Customer Care

Re: RIP Erin Moran ~ Actress

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered political

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

For me Erin's struggles were well documented before her unfortunate passing so I can understand why many people assumed it was her excesses that lead to her early passing.  In the same token, it's my understanding that although Scott didn't keep in direct contact with Erin through the years his wife did so i guess the question is, were they aware of her cancer?  To be honest I don't want to really know the answer, I just wish he had waited for the autopsy results to be presented before he spoke to her issues (I get passion but I also get there is a time and place and a matter of respect).  We all pretty much knew about her lifestyle, he could have dialed it down a bit before her autopsy was completed and has now caused this rather avoidable controversy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

mtc wrote:

For me Erin's struggles were well documented before her unfortunate passing so I can understand why many people assumed it was her excesses that lead to her early passing.  In the same token, it's my understanding that although Scott didn't keep in direct contact with Erin through the years his wife did so i guess the question is, were they aware of her cancer?  To be honest I don't want to really know the answer, I just wish he had waited for the autopsy results to be presented before he spoke to her issues (I get passion but I also get there is a time and place and a matter of respect).  We all pretty much knew about her lifestyle, he could have dialed it down a bit before her autopsy was completed and has now caused this rather avoidable controversy.

That's a thoughtful post, @momtochloe.   I want to add that I've seen "Happy Days" and didn't really notice Baio's character that much.    The actor was completely off my radar until his reality show a few years ago...  when I saw that, I found him to be particularly unlikeable.    As a result of that, frankly his comments here don't carry much weight with me and don't surprise me.   (I know we can't be sure, but it seemed the tv show was a valid portrayal of who he really is.   I just looked it up and he was an executive producer so he likely didn't disagree with the rather unflattering portrayal).    It's an old adage, but true, that just because we can say something doesn't mean we should, and sensitivity to timing also is important and worth some thought.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Erin Moran had a difficult life, including during her TV time with Baio and obviously after.  She was "troubled" according to Marion Ross who played the mother and who tired to help Erin.

I don't understand why so many people try to find a reason to blame others for their own death, as if it could have been prevented if they'd only been better people.

We all have our failings and we're all going to die at some point.  There's a reason for the old saying, "Don't speak ill of the dead."  Someday it will be our turn.

Esteemed Contributor

Why has this turned into a Scott Baio bashing thread? 

There are many out there in the public who would say similar or worse about the person.  There are also many that could care less if at all. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

There are many out there in the public who would say similar or worse about the person.  There are also many that could care less if at all. 

@Puzzle Piece

This was his reaction to her death:

“I’m OK, a little shocked but not completely shocked that this happened. My thing is, I feel bad because her whole life, she was troubled, could never find what made her happy and content. For me, you do drugs or drink, you’re gonna die. I’m sorry if that’s cold, but God gave you a brain, gave you the will to live and thrive and you gotta take care of yourself.”

Have you heard the phrase, Don't speak ill of the dead?  Apparently he hadn't.  And he did it at a time when he didn't know the cause of death was stage four cancer.

Many had said she was troubled even as a child, to me that suggests depression, or as some have said, bi-polar illness.  Baio was not only wrong, he exhibited crude and uncaring behavior, especially toward her family.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I know why. Yes he was blunt and the timing was wrong. People who love other people get frustrated with others life choices. He loved her as a friend.He should not have said what he did especially since it has come out she likely died of cancer. But IMO the backlash of him is bullying and we know why. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Puzzle Piece I can't speak to the tone of this thread but I believe when Scott said he was being targeted because of his political affiliations it ramped up the angst as most folks don't care what side of the aisle you sit on, his comments were disrespectful and unfortunate especially since the cause of death had not been announced nor were her remains been attended to.  It doesn't help that he will always be so inextricably linked to her based on their TV relationship.  It also doesn't help that the rest of the cast members issued respectful statements and left it at that.  He did this to himself and he needs to reconcile the fact that perhaps it would have been better to stand down a while and then when appropriate champion the demons that haunted Erin and how to address and/or cure them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I don't really think it's "turned into" that, it's just a conversation like all the threads and it's still on-topic.   Just my opinion, but I think anytime someone -- anyone -- makes what feels like a harsh, judgmental public comment immediately following the death of a fellow human being...  it's jarring and people naturally will react.   For anyone to try and make it about something other than a person -- any person -- being insensitive is unfortunate but we all know it happens a lot these days.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova