Honored Contributor

Re: RIP Erin Moran ~ Actress

@truffle wrote:

Image result for Kelly Moran Actor

RIP Erin Moran

I don't EVER remember her looking that good.  

Respected Contributor

I don't know what she died of but I read an article where she was kicked out of her mobile home in Indiana. How do you get from Happy Days to getting kicked out of your home? I would suspect she lived hard, maybe drinking, smoking is only a guess. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read that it was a suspected heroin OD, although they won't know for sure until autopsy.

Very sad. Poor thing, RIP.

Respected Contributor

Her life after TV was difficult, apparently. Most of the tweets of condolence I read from costars and friends remarked that they hope she has found the peace that eluded her in life. Paul Peterson's (he's from the Donna Reed Show) statement was moving...he founded the nonprofit A Minor Consideration to help former and current young stars find their way after their stardom burns out. He said that he and others reached out to her and tried to help over many years and even last week. You can visit the Web page and read his statement here.

So sad that the joy she appeared to have as a performer eluded her as an adult.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Where I am perplexed is how could she end up broke in a trailor park after making tons of Money on one of the most popular TV sitcoms of that day?  She even had a spin off  show that she was the star in.  

"Tons of Money" is a relative term. Back in the day, they didn't make anything close to the money many stars make on a successful sitcom today. And when you go back, they didn't have the protections for their earnings that are in force today.

I haven't followed her story very closely, but many child actresses from the 1970's and 1980's have come forward to tell about some combination of sexual abuse, exposure to drugs and alcohol at a very young age (by people they worked closely with and should have been better role models or simply stayed away from the kids), and being shamed for their bodies (so many were told they were too fat, when in fact they had absolutely normal bodies for young developing females). Many didn't have good parenting, and some had all their earnings taken and squandered. 

Is it any wonder so many meet such a fate?

My guess is that many of her demons since her 'Happy Day's' are rooted in mental illness (from the few things I did read over the years). 

I'm sorry she didn't have a happier life, and I too, hope she is now at peace. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

didn'tNo they make tons of money back then.  Not only that they didn't get residuals, licensing fees, and many other cash bonuses we now associate with tv series.  I believe many of the series that were popular before the early 1980's only made  sag wages.  I think Fonzie ( henry winkler) made 750 per week his first season. He never received any money for all those Fonzie posters, lunchboxes, toys, dolls, jackets, etc.  Until about 10 years ago I think they didn't get money for all those reruns.  Just recently, some of the cast sued to get back money, and finally won.  I think the Oleson Twins were two of the lucky ones.  Their parents saw they were on an allowance, held back from Hollywood, until they were of age.  Now they are some of the richest gals in the business, who are not in the business, lol.

Most of the Happy Days cast received their weekly wages, and luckily many went on to a bright future.  Many of the young kids are not prepared to deal with fame and the future.  They were poorly educated.  I know Erin barely had a high school education.  Many didn't have parental supervision, or parents who were along for the ride to spend the kids money.  Sad.  Erin didn't do much after Happy Days and Joanie and Chachie.  Because she wasn't a big name, the little she did make was just regular pay.  Your savings can go quick when you work once or twice a year.  

Makes me wonder sometimes How someone like Lindsey Lohan keeps on going.  She has hardly worked for years.

Honored Contributor

That picture of her just does not look like her at all, so sad her life ended the way it did.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I chuckled when I saw that pic...they made her look like a different person.

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

I chuckled when I saw that pic...they made her look like a different person.

I don't see anything amusing about it.

Honored Contributor

Such a shame. I always liked her as well, so cute!!!!I think it is so hard for former child stars to find work, after ththe sitcom/show they are on goes off the air. When I think back to the 70's and all of the sitcoms, only a couple of them had work after that sitcom. That was usually a guest spot on a Love Boat episode, or Fantasy Island.etc.......It really is a hard business...So sad, does nayone know if she had children?