Honored Contributor

Here's a very cute segment on the Tonight Show, when Don Rickles bursts in on Johnny Carson and Frank Sinatra having a chat.   Shows Rickles' fearless, zany humor-- and Frank's good natured reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_V9RT8aR8

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell Such a funny clip!! I have seen it before, but it always make laugh.  Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

One of the great ones.  You can be funny without being vulgar - it just takes talent and wit.  Comics today don't "get" that.   Rest In Peace. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Esteemed Contributor

"You hockey puck"  Classic

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I worked with someone who had moved to NYC from LA, and whose children had played with Don Rickles's kids, sharing birthday parties, etc. She wasn't in show business but lived in Venice Beach.  I don't know where Don Rickles lived, but I think their young kids were in the same school.

Anyhow, she said he was very different in person, very gentle and kind with his kids. 

He wasn't my favorite comic, but to me most of what I heard of his act was fairly typical of stand-up comedy in that period.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never cared for the man.

I never cared for his humor but other oldtime comedians seemed to like him.  I remember him on Johnny Carson's show.

Respected Contributor

I lost count of how many times I saw him in Vegas starting back in the 70's. He was hilarious but you didn't want to sit on the front row.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I lost count of how many times I saw him in Vegas starting back in the 70's. He was hilarious but you didn't want to sit on the front row.  

I saw him in Vegas in 1976 and we purposely asked to sit in the back - didn't want to be in his view!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

We'll miss you, Don Rickles!  You made us laugh so hard and so much!!!  You were a funny man for sure.  I'll be tuning in to Johhny Carson on "The Tonight Show" to catch you whenever possible. 

Rest in Peace

@sfnative Beginning tonight through Sunday, Antenna TV will be airing Don Rickles appearances on the Tonight Show.

@twinsister

Thanks so much for letting me know!!!  I always check the listings on an app I have on my Kindle, but this is great information, because the info at my end probably hasn't been changed.

@sfnative - You're welcome!  I set my DVR in case I fall asleep, but I'm looking forward to seeing them.  My listings haven't changed yet either. Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Jimmy Kimmell came out crying tonight.  He was good friends with DR.  He talked about their dinners together and read some of the ThAnk you notes DR sent him. He had a tough time holding back the tears.  Showed clips.