Trusted Contributor

AAWW so sad I guess he was the last of the pack.............sad he is gone.............but it seems he had a fabulous life.

Honored Contributor

I saw him on one of the late night shows with John Stamos, what an unusual couple!  They were so cute and so close.  Stamos was very protective of Rickles.  I loved seeing them together, I think it was on Kimmel.

Honored Contributor

Just now heard this on the news.  I thought he was already dead! doh.gif

R.I.P.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Re: RIP: Don Rickles, 90

[ Edited ]

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

Sunala,  I agree with you 100% !

To the folks with the insults:  If you don't like someone who just passed away, keep your comments to yourself.

It's just thoughtless.

@shoppersince1989 some people just don't know any better.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed his impish, transgressive humor.  Usually I can't stand it when people are deliberately insulting, but in his case, it seemed like there was a sweet guy underneath...

Rest in peace, Mr. Rickles.

Honored Contributor

Loved the man and his humor. My parents were huge fans and saw him in every venue he appeared at in LA in the 60s, and also in Vegas. They were honored to have been "picked on" once or twice.

Everyone who knew him off stage said he was a genuinely sweet, kind, generous teddy bear.

Don's sense of humor is/was my sense of humor - keeping in mind that his humor involved being able to laugh at yourself and not taking everything dead seriously.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

Sunala,  I agree with you 100% !

To the folks with the insults:  If you don't like someone who just passed away, keep your comments to yourself.

It's just thoughtless.

No, it's not thoughtless. It's done with thought; with malice aforethought. That shows intent (which is clearly there), where true thoughtlessness does not.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

omg, this paranoia is getting to be too much.  pls give it a rest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

No, I don't believe Rickles' "stuff" gave rise to Howard Stern.  Remember decades ago when Stern called Air Florida after the crash in the Potomac River and asked how much the fare was to that point in the flight?  Do you really believe that Rickles would have pulled a stunt like that?  I don't. 

Rickles was funny; his humor was not designed to hurt anyone.  Stern is not funny; never has been and never will be.

@Cats3000  Clearly you either didn't understand or you misinterpreted my post.  "Giving rise" to something or someone doesn't mean followers saying or doing the exact same thing.  The example you gave certainly doesn't mean that Rickles didn't give rise to Stern.  Stern taking it steps farther is not the same as what I wrote at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

No, I don't believe Rickles' "stuff" gave rise to Howard Stern.  Remember decades ago when Stern called Air Florida after the crash in the Potomac River and asked how much the fare was to that point in the flight?  Do you really believe that Rickles would have pulled a stunt like that?  I don't. 

Rickles was funny; his humor was not designed to hurt anyone.  Stern is not funny; never has been and never will be.

@Cats3000  Clearly you either didn't understand your you misinterpreted my post.  "Giving rise" to something or someone doesn't mean followers saying or doing the exact same thing.  The example you gave certainly doesn't mean that Rickles didn't give rise to Stern.  Stern taking it steps farther is not the same as what I wrote at all.  

I replied to this earlier by emphasizing that Rickles inspired  comics of today (Stern included)  to think 'outside of the box' - however comics  interpreted that in their own work was  their doing.