Honored Contributor

There's nothing new about all of that.  It was a differet time and all they were interested in was arresting someone and declaring the case solved and closed.  They weren't interested in the truth.  Kennedy was shot in the back, Sirhan was standing in front of him.  How could Sirhan have been the assassin?  Also, others out of Sirhan's sight and range were shot.  There were more bullets than Sirhan's gun had.  Obviously, there were others invovled.  However!  Sirhan was part of it, he was there to kill Kennedy if got the opportunity and HE knows all but still refuses to say anything.  He's not innocent.   Sirhan is where he belongs and while understand that Kennedy's son wants the truth of his father's death.  That's just not going to happen after 50 years and it certainly can't happen if Sirhan continues to claim he knows nothing.  

Honored Contributor

Someone must have a book coming out soon....

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Now this is bizarre.  According to the Washington Post, the autopsy report shows RFK being shot at point blank range from behind - Sirhan was facing him and at a distance.

So if that is true, how did they ever convict him?

RFK was shot in the throat.  I always thought he was shot from the front.

And the evidence disappeared immediately, as in other Kennedy crimes (JFK, Martha Moxley, and Chappaquidick, etc.)

Regular Contributor

Re: RFK Assassination

[ Edited ]

I worked for Bobby's campaign when I was a freshman in college. I was at the Ambassador Hotel when he was assasinated. He had given a speech. The place was packed. I had a final coming up, so I needed to get home and study. I left just before he was shot and killed. I remember driving home on Wilshire Blvd, hearing the terrible news on the radio. I will never forget that. I wonder how our history would have changed, had he lived.

Honored Contributor

Re: RFK Assassination

[ Edited ]

I remember his death well.  I remember the warm, sunny day, the sounds of the traffic a few blocks away, the sun coming through the blinds on the tv.  I had to close blinds to see the TV.  That old black and white tv.  The shooting on the news took the breath out of me, i was numb.  He was such a person with convictions and faith.  Sad.  Ethel was pregnant with Kari too, and she was there. It wasn't too long after MLK death , and only 4 years or so after JFK's death.  These deaths were horrific, our country just wasnt attuned to these kind of shootings.  But, the worst was too come, the war, riots.  It was a turbulent time, and it was all new to me.  

I had just voted in the California primary, my first election.  I think at the time you had to be 21 to vote.

Anyway, I had heard this theory, of another gunman with Sirhan.  The fact os without a doubt, Sirhan did commit murder...alone or not.  . 

Esteemed Contributor

I met a man 23 yrs ago at a gathering - who was standing very close to Robert Kennedy during the shooting. Someone at this gathering asked him about it - and he said, "if I say what I know, I'll be dead."

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

We have seen "evidence" presented from time to time regarding JFK, RFK, MLK and Ted Kennedy with Mary Jo's death.  Even the moon landing is subject to suspicion.

Seems the 60's brought about so much societal disturbances that perhaps people are still trying to push ideas because they cannot accept finality.  I may not agree with everything we were fed during that time but I cannot prove nor disprove what the courts have handed down.

Conspiracy theories are not a bad thing; unless they are so far off the wall (aliens killed RFK) they can be good points of discussion by we the little people.

Sirhan declared his innocence a long time ago.  Oswald did too for the brief time he was alive.

And of course according to the X-Files everyone knows it was the smoking man on the grassy knoll.Smiley Tongue

I agree - except.  Either the autopsy report says he was shot at point blank range in the back of the head - or it doesn't.

If it does, then clearly Sirhan didn't kill him.

If it doesn't - then where does the Washington Post get off saying it does?  Now I admit this is not my favorite newspaper as they frequently confuse opinion with fact, but since they don't really have a dog in this fight (as opposted to current news), I'd think they'd be careful stating what the autopsy report says if they really don't know.

@Isobel ArcherMy take is that there has always been more than one shooter in these cases.  Oswald wasn't that great of a shot to pull of the JFK killing, e.g.

Wasn't there supposed to be a release of some documents from JFK's killing that ended up not happening?

As far as Skakel that another poster mentioned-somebody in that clan killed Martha-and I don't believe Skakel was railroaded at all.  However, I am surprised that he was found guilty.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

There is a truth out there for many of these kinds of things, but honestly, I don't think we will ever know it. 

The amount of time passing, the 'loss' or destruction (intentional or otherwise) of evidence, the conflicting 'expert' findings and testimony using all the latest science, and the fact that the government covers up what it wants to, all lead to the actual and full truth about some of these past events never really coming to light. 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio The Government made sure we will never know the who, what why of any of the murders. People were blamed, they claimed innocent, and were either killed or jailed. There are so many that could have been involved, and they had reason to be. But Oswald and Sirhan caught the blame. Ruby never spoke so what he knew died with him. That bullet that hit JFK and Connolley 5 different spots on their bodies all together? Do you believe in magic? The FBI and the Warren Commission tried their best to convince us of that one. Lies all. How did the shot that killed JFK go through his throat and out the back of his head? Was someone laying on the floor of the car he was in? There were questions when it all happened, but we were told it would be released when the investigations were finished. To do that with his wife next to him, that close. The memories in her mind the rest of her life. She tried to put the pieces of his head back together. Someone hated their family and we will never know the answers. RFK had to be next. 

Frequent Contributor

Michael Skakel and RFK Jr. are cousins. Ethel and his father are siblings. I've followed the Moxley case and I too think Skakel is guilty. If RFK Jr. thinks he is innocent, why didn't he and his family get involved in the case when it first happened? They never uttered a word.

I was 15 when MLK Jr. and RFK were killed. I have still have the newspaper clippings of both events.