Respected Contributor

Hi frens!

Several years ago I bought a wallet with RFID protection and never had a problem with anyone stealing my info--until this year. So far this year, I've had to replace my credit care FOUR times. Could the RFID be wearing out?

Just to be safe I bought a new one. I sure hope my credit card number doesn't get stolen again. Or perhaps it's part of some of the big data thefts that have happened lately.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar?

Esteemed Contributor

If you buy a good quality brand - Buxton - Dooney  wallet - for $80 and up.....doubt if those would 'leak' your info.

If you buy an inexpensive wallet - plastic type.....there's a good bet it won't protect your cards as well.

Review where on line you are exposing your information..

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Two months ago, I got an email notice from Amazon that a purchase from me was denied. I had made no purchase. I called my credit card customer service and found out that three attempts had been made by someone using my credit card number. It had nothing to do with RFID; I never carry my credit card unless I am travelling. With covid going on, I rarely left my house, let alone travel.

I never pay bills online, but I do make occassional purchases. If you have ever shopped online, these companies have your credit card information. Of course, I had to get a new credit card. There is really no way to know how people

access our credit card information. We are in those data bases.Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Probably nothing to do with your wallet.

My credit card numbers were stolen from an employee of one of my suppliers when I had my own business.  The card number wasn't used by that employee rather sold to someone else thus, I was in London one morning buying plane tickets at the airport, and an hour later i was in Texas buying groceries 3X within 5 minutes with each transaction at about $300.  Happens that quick so I lowered the dollar amount on my credit card transaction alerts just to catch a lower possible unathoriized amount charged.

The credit card company doesn't give you any details but I had one card used for that supplier alone so that pointed me to them.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  I agree with others that it probably doesn't have to do with the RFID. Check with your CC provider to get more info and perhaps helpful tips.

Honored Contributor

Most credit cards issued today do not have RFID chips implanted in them. Most cards have EMV chips where the card has to make contact with an electronic payment device. EMV chips do not send out your private info through the air. 

RFID protective wallets are not needed for EMC cards. If you were issued a RFID credit card, which is not common but gaining popularity in the US, then that should have been sent to you with a notice stating that it has the technology and how to protect your information from fraud.

RFID protective wallets and such are often sold with scare tactics which do not apply to most people b/c most people do not have RFID cards. If your card has this symbol on it then it has RFID:

RFID Chip in Your Credit Cards—Should You Worry?

Respected Contributor

This has been one of the best cons for years.  Only about 5% of credit cards were ever RFID to begin with, and were marked on the card with the RFID symbol, and now almost none are.  I suspect every card you have is a chip card.

Google it and you will see that folks have been selling a worthless benefit for years.

Honored Contributor

There are many credit card #s stolen at gas pumps. 

Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most credit cards issued today do not have RFID chips implanted in them. Most cards have EMV chips where the card has to make contact with an electronic payment device. EMV chips do not send out your private info through the air. 

RFID protective wallets are not needed for EMC cards. If you were issued a RFID credit card, which is not common but gaining popularity in the US, then that should have been sent to you with a notice stating that it has the technology and how to protect your information from fraud.

RFID protective wallets and such are often sold with scare tactics which do not apply to most people b/c most people do not have RFID cards. If your card has this symbol on it then it has RFID:

RFID Chip in Your Credit Cards—Should You Worry?

Thank you for this @SilleeMee!