Respected Contributor

•••RFID Blocking Sleeves/Wallets CLAIMS•••

[ Edited ]
I wasn't sure where to post this so
I'll try here first.

Are there any sleeves or wallets that are proven to
block and protect our cards with the RFID chips?

I tried googling and found very old articles but nothing
up to date and a lot of them say some of the products that
claim to block really aren't true and they say some of the
sleeves won't work if they get bent or folded or just have
normal wear and tear from using them.

tia!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Re: •••RFID Blocking Sleeves/Wallets CLAIMS•••

[ Edited ]

My husband  bought an RFID wallet for men at Walmart.  I think he told me the brand was called George.  He has access to a scanner where he works and tested it.  It worked.  

I use an RFID sleeve from the Kim Komando website.  I trust her.  I do not trust the products they sell on Qvc unless they are tested on air....one brand was called ID Stronghold, however, there are complaints regarding quality...faulty zippers, loose threads.  

Honored Contributor

Q sells a couple of different brands they claim do. They show in the presentations that it works, for what that is worth. Don't know if there in independent verification, though.

Contributor

I also read an article that said a better option other than the sleeves are to make up your own sleeve out of tin foil and duct tape and your card will better protected. I am going to try this option as they say it is better. The funny thing to me is that we all have to take our cards out to pay at any establishment we are at to pay our bill and at that moment someone can be in line with you, standing 20 or 30 feet from you as you pay your bill or run your card through the credit machine and your card is vulnerable at that point and they can skim your card then.

Respected Contributor

@stewmagoo wrote:

I also read an article that said a better option other than the sleeves are to make up your own sleeve out of tin foil and duct tape and your card will better protected. I am going to try this option as they say it is better. The funny thing to me is that we all have to take our cards out to pay at any establishment we are at to pay our bill and at that moment someone can be in line with you, standing 20 or 30 feet from you as you pay your bill or run your card through the credit machine and your card is vulnerable at that point and they can skim your card then.

One time when I was at the bank the teller asked to see my debit card and then walked away with it to another computer as his was down.  That made me very nervous and I should have just kept it in the sleeve and handed it to him.  

But you're right.  Any time that card is out it is subject to being scanned.  

Honored Contributor

@stewmagoo wrote:

That thought, about being scanned while paying, has crossed my mind as well. I guess the idea is that you are greatly reducing your risk because your card spends (um, maybe?) more time in your wallet than in your hand, in a day's time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The wallets work but IMO are way over priced since the premise behind them is a layer of either aluminum or stainless steel.

A less expensive alternative is to make your own using heavy duty aluminum foil, purchasing either aluminum or stainless steel pieces cut to the size of a credit card to insert into your existing wallet or search Amazon using the phrase metal credit card case for a nice selection of inexpensive protective cases.

ETA:  If you have two or more RFID cards carrying them together (as one) will minimize the ability of a skimmer to read the numbers as they both will transmit simultaneously mixing the numbers the skimmer receives.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I read an article/post from someone on this forum that said to save your money; the best practice is to simply turn your cards with the chips imbedded in them backwards in your wallet.  Makes perfect sense to me...!  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My debit cards do not have an embedded chip. A new credit card replacement just arrived the other day though before its expiration date, as it does have the new chip.  

Trusted Contributor

I only carry one credit card with the chip. I made a foil sleeve to put it in . Cost me nothing.