Respected Contributor

REVIEWS. ARE. VERY. IMPORTANT.....

Want to thank everyone who took the time to write reviews.  You saved me a lot of return postage.

This weekend I forgot my current novel and decided to go through all 73 pages of "  Clearance   " items.

Except for the constant reloading of pages where I wanted to see different color choices, it wasn't too bad:  bad feet so no interest in shoes; faux anything was a no no; most styles demonstrated why it was on clearance; and, no jewelry or handbags.

After this weekend's project, I actually bought ONE item.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: REVIEWS. ARE. VERY. IMPORTANT.....

[ Edited ]

@jlkz

For what it's worth, reviews can have unintended consequences too. In January I bought a beautiful wooden jewelry box by Mele & Co (the Empress) from the Q.  At the time I bought it, it was like $30 cheaper than ANYONE else was selling it.  Like a stupido, when I posted my review, I praised the Q for having the best price.  Barely a week went by after I wrote the review, the price shot up to where it is now.

Boy I should have kept my mouth shut.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, 73 pages of clearance items. That was a project for sure.    

I agree about the importance of reviews, especially ones that contain a lot of information/details about the product.  It helps in making an informed decision.      

Honored Contributor

Yes!  More info regarding the chosen color of an item; also, the size.   Whether the color is a darker or lighter shade, etc.  Does the size run small or large?, etc.   Thanks, O/P.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I love the fact that reviews are usually plentiful here after a product has been offered for some time.

I write a lot of reviews, and try to describe both the positive and the negative of a product, and give as much detail about the materials used, the quality of the item, how it has lasted over the time I have used it etc. 

I do think Q could do a better job of removing review from people who never purchased the product and complain why they didn't, or did buy it but haven't even received it yet and are giving it glowing reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

Reviews have helped me when shopping too. However I don't go by all reviews, unless there are lots of bad reviews, then I wont buy something. Because I realize everyone has different opinions. I have gotten items I love and some hated. So I go by the "overall" reviews.

Now here's one issue with reviews. I notice on QVC, the higher the good reviews the higher the price in most cases (not all of course). So good reviews mean over paying a lot of times..lol..

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

i write reviews for a few sites and put forth what it is I would like to read about a product. Sadly, if the review is negative in any way, the company will often NOT publish it or it will disappear after a few hours/days.

How does that help the consumer? Oh, that's right... it DOESN'T. It helps the VENDOR/STORE. 

I know for a fact that Sephora, Nordstrom and QVC censor; oh  boy, DO they.

Frequent Contributor

I also am a review reader and buy depending on reviews.  I think reviews would be more accurate if we had the option to edit them at a later date.  I know many write reviews before washing or wearing so you don't hear about shrinkage, pilling, etc. I know I've written glowing reviews then washed the item the third, fourth time only to have it fall apart, pill, or stretch out, I know I'm not alone.  This goes for items that can break or fall apart after a week too.

Frequent Contributor

Someone posted something about only good reviews being posted.  I know for a fact that Evine live ONLY allows good reviews as I tried to post a poor review and after I hit submit I got a response that stated they found my review unsuitable and would not post it.  I reworded it and tried again only to have the same outcome.  Evine live has very few reviews on an item.  Once the host was raving " ladies there are 32 reviews on this!".  32? Are you serious? You think 32 reviews is something to brag about?  But they do as it's rare for an item to have over 10 reviews!  I know evine has more viewers than what the limited amount of reviews reflect, so they definitely only allow good reviews and a rare, rare 3 star review which makes buying anything from them difficult if you look to reviews to give you insight.  Because of this and other reasons I rarely watch evine live.

Honored Contributor

I agree...reviews for products are very important. I learned early on to read the bad reviews 1st and then read those reviewer's profile/history. If they average a rating of at least a 3.8 or above, I will consider their bad review. If they only wrote one or two reviews...I might consider their views. Those that have a rating average of 3.1 - 3.7 I may or may not take their review seriously. And if there is a history with a low average rating of 3.0 or below, I dismiss their comments.

Let's just say there seems to be a lot of folks who are very hard to please and don't like anything. Those reviews I dismiss right off the bat...