Esteemed Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

[ Edited ]

Thanksgiving is an American holiday steeped in tradition.It’s everyone’s choice as to what extent they want to acknowledge or celebrate it.I don’t judge!! However, unless you work in the medical field where your presence is necessary there is absolutely no reason why anyone should be required to work on Thanksgiving.It should be their choice. 

I have never nor will I ever shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. I can do without the madness.I prefer to spend this time with family & friends. 

The employers who open on Thanksgiving have employees operate their businesses. They’re home eating turkey 🦃 & watching football 🏈. Yes,I know they’re the bosses etc. etc. It wouldn’t hurt them to close for the day & give their employees a much needed day off.

One of the problems today is that our society has become cold & disconnected. Money & competition has replaced community & family. It would behoove us to get back to basics.Family & community should always come first!!

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving is not a shopping holiday but a day to give thanks for the blessings we all have in our lives.  Even if we are alone or have to work that day there are blessings and thankfulness in the past year of our life to reflect on.   Some small some large but there is a good thing somewhere in all our past one year to be glad and "thankful" it happened.  Shop next week after the long holiday week-end.  The stores are not going anywhere but your family and friends may well be.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find it very hypocritical when people say retail stores should be closed then go out to dinner, go to a movie, watch a foot ball game or even stop and get gas.  There are people at each of those places who are working on Thanksgiving.

There are essential people who need to be there for public safety.  Everyone else is there because their employer said they had to be because they can make money.  That restaurant is open because they can make money.  That waitress is there to make money.  Cannot cherry pick what place should be open and which one should not because it rubs you wrong.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is a perennial topic here. I find it hard to feel any passion for this issue.

As for the sanctity of the family reunion? Come on now. As many of those who truly don't want to work because of the beloved family dinner, I bet that just as many relish the extra money much more. Not everyone is invited to a huge gathering at Norman Rockwell's house anyway. :-) Many families also can adapt their dinner time, if they so choose. 

Agree, however I've NEVER been one to participate in Black Friday anyway.  Not a family thing for me as much as battling for parking spaces and the crowds.   

FIrst year I won't participate in the normal T'giving huge family thing bc we are spread farther apart this year. One brother, his wife, their older daughter and I will have Thanksgiving at a local restaurant. I wondered about that as well.

We were there yesterday and the owner/chef and his wife who also works there said they only began opening on Thanksgiving once their children got older and now the whole family comes in and helps.  For servers who want to make extra money, she said they get paid extra and once the restaurant is closed at 6pm they do a sit down dinner for their family and any employee that wishes to stay bc they have no place to go - sounds like what a friend said he used to host which he said years ago where he lived then were called "widows/orphans meals" - which basically is just inviting ppl that for whatever reason have no place to go to make sure no one is alone unless they want it that way.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I find it very hypocritical when people say retail stores should be closed then go out to dinner, go to a movie, watch a foot ball game or even stop and get gas.  There are people at each of those places who are working on Thanksgiving.

There are essential people who need to be there for public safety.  Everyone else is there because their employer said they had to be because they can make money.  That restaurant is open because they can make money.  That waitress is there to make money.  Cannot cherry pick what place should be open and which one should not because it rubs you wrong.

@CrazyDaisy. That was my point also back in the beginning of the thread. Seems we should only want retail workers to have the day off. The heck with everyone else. ( Not speaking of essential workers which I'm sure will be brought up). We will be ignored Daisy because for some reason it is pick on retailer time at Thanksgiving. Waiters, waitresses...who cares if they have to work because some of our complaining posters go out to eat on Thanksgiving!

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Thanksgiving is an American holiday steeped in tradition.It’s everyone’s choice as to what extent they want to acknowledge or celebrate it.I don’t judge!! However, unless you work in the medical field where your presence is necessary there is absolutely no reason why anyone should be required to work on Thanksgiving.It should be their choice. 

I have never nor will I ever shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. I can do without the madness.I prefer to spend this time with family & friends. 

The employers who open on Thanksgiving have employees operate their businesses. They’re home eating turkey 🦃 & watching football 🏈. Yes,I know they’re the bosses etc. etc. It wouldn’t hurt them to close for the day & give their employees a much needed day off.

One of the problems today is that our society has become cold & disconnected. Money & competition has replaced community & family. It would behoove us to get back to basics.Family & community should always come first!!

How about people who work for the electric, gas, and water companies?  It would be pretty difficult to cook a Thanksgiving dinner for your family without having these services up and running.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SahmIam

if you work for a company that you KNOW is open on thanksgiving, why would you say you are "forced" to work? if you DONT want to work on that day then you should probably apply for a job at one of the companies where you WONT have to work on thanksgiving.

i am not one who believes that blessings or gatherings should be saved for one particular day or period of time during that day. if that thursday doesnt work for you or your family, then make it happen another day.....and more often! if someone has to work in the afternoon, make a thanksgiving breakfast to share with your family and friends.

@sunshine45  Because retailers (all jobs to be honest) can and do change their rules/policies. You may have signed on and they were closed on Sundays and all major Holidays. Next year, the CEO says "we're open on Sundays and all major Holidays". Now what? Oh, that's right....quite and find a job somewhere else. What if you've been there for a long time? What if you need the benefits?

Like I said, if you want to work, great. It's when the employer doesn't allow you the option and says if you don't, you're fired that I thing is wrong. As per this thread, there are MANY who would work or are positive that others don't mind working on these days....why not ask assign them the shift instead? Well, retailers don't work that way. Again, talking about RETAIL and no other field.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........o

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I have not heard of anyone not celebrating Thanksgiving. Not being snarky, I am just wondering if I am out of the loop.

@Nancy Drew- many do not celebrate Thanksgiving ....It's an American holiday and this is a very diverse nation.   Canada celebrates in October....many countries celebrate something similar but usually related to the harvest.  No one but an American cares too much about the Pilgrims landing on Plymouth Rock.  It's a national holiday because of what it means to Americans.  Those that don't celebrate it, just view it as an opportunity to have an extra day off or if your lucky 4 days off.  When I was a young nurse, I volunteered to work if someone else was preparing dinner but managed to have time with family.  I didn't work 24/7 and neither do people in retail.  Some enjoy the extra money for holidays or even enjoy the atmosphere at their job on Thanksgiving...like at Macy's and for some, it's part of their Thanksgiving ritual 

Honored Contributor

Bravo for the stores that are closed!

Trusted Contributor

People are losing sight as to what this post was about. We are talking about retailers choosing to stay closed on Thanksgiving so that their employees may be free to celebrate this traditional holiday if they so choose. We are not talking about the merit of celebrating Thanksgiving! Each person can decide if they want to celebrate or not!

Major retailers like Macy's and Penney's have been open on Thanksgiving only since 2013. It is a new phenomenon. And controversial since its inception. 

Many people do not think that stores have to back up Black Friday into Thanksgiving. It is not a necessity!!! When many people chose to work in retail prior to 2013 they had no inkling that Thanksgiving would turn into just another Thursday shopping day. So to say that those who work in retail knew what they were getting into is wrong for those whose hiring predates 2013. 

If someone works in places that have traditionally been open on Thanksgiving like movie theaters or gas stations, etc. then that is their choice. 

But for the employees of the retailers who decided in 2013 to squeeze out a few more $$ by opening their stores on Thanksgiving it is a fair question to ask if it is really necessary? 

And it is fair to applaud those retailers who opt to stay closed on Thanksgiving, giving their employees the holiday off.

No one in our family works in retail.....but I can certainly see why many who do would not be happy about this recent phenomenon. I give kudos to the retailers who have decided to let Thanksgiving continue to be a holiday for their employees.