Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

@sidsmom  Probably because the person working at crappy retail store is making $7 an hour and NFL sport star is making a few million. Also, NFL sport star is treated like royalty (hence the pay). Common person working at crappy retail store is not.

Lets compare nurses to Kmart workers. How about doctors to Pizza-Hut drivers. You could say that about anyone except well, no you can't. Once is necessary, one isn't. One is paid ****** and one isn't.

You want to work holidays? Be my guest. Many don't but must and are not given any additional perks for doing so. Kinda sucks, you know?

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@OCT 25, 2017 @ 07:10 AM 13,676 

Here Are The Retailers That Will Close On Thanksgiving

Walter Loeb

Looking ahead to Thanksgiving, a number of stores have again opted for opening on Thursday, November 23, in order to attract customers and beat the competition. As a result, many of their sales associates will have to forgo the traditional Thanksgiving feast because they have to be at store opening on the holiday. The sanctity of the family reunion has been overridden by commercial considerations. I strongly disapprove of the idea and laud the 41 stores listed below that are closed on Thanksgiving Day. I am proud of the management teams that have a feeling for their co-workers.

The following stores are closed on Thanksgiving Day, according to the site Best Black Friday....

A.C. Moore

Abt Electronics

Academy Sports + Outdoors

At Home

BJ's Wholesale Club

Blain's Farm and Fleet

Burlington

Cabela's

Cost Plus World Market

Costco

Craft Warehouse

Crate and Barrel

Dillard's

DSW

Ethan Allen

Gardner-White Furniture

Guitar Center

H&M

Half Price Books

Harbor Freight

Hobby Lobby

Home Depot

Homesense

IKEA

Joann Fabrics

Jos A. Bank

La-Z-Boy

Lowe's

Marshalls

Mattress Firm

Micro Center

Mills Fleet Farm

Music & Arts

Neiman Marcus

Nordstrom

Nordstrom Rack

Office Depot

Office Max

Outdoor Research

P.C. Richard & Son

Party City

Patagonia

Petco

PetSmart

Pier 1 Imports

Publix

Raymour & Flanigan

Sam's Club

Sears Hometown Stores

Shoe Carnival

Sierra Trading Post

Sportsman's Warehouse

Sprint

Staples

Stein Mart

The Container Store

The Original Mattress Factory

TJ Maxx

Tractor Supply

Trollbeads

Von Maur

West Marine

Old Navy intends to open at 4 p.m. Even Toys ‘R’ Us, which should be mobbed, will open, but not until 5 p.m. Macy’s also states it will open at 5 p.m and then stay open till 2 a.m. Some of their stores may actually stay open all night. There’s a silver lining of sorts there - that’s good for restocking of merchandise since all of their stores have announced they will reopen at 6 a.m. Friday morning. Walmart will open at 6 p.m. while Kohl's has advanced their opening to 5 p.m. Target has not announced when they will open, but I think it will be either 5 p.m or 6 p.m. Based on last year's opening, J.C.Penney may open as early as 3 p.m.

It is interesting that both major home improvement stores (Lowe’s and Home Depot) and TJX and Marshalls off-price stores chose to remain closed on the Thursday holiday. Similarly, department stores Nordstrom and Dillard’s will remain closed for the holiday, thus giving associates a break. But, the next day everyone will fight for shopper’s attention because Black Friday is still a huge shopping day even though other days are stealing some of its thunder.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2017/10/25/black-friday-2017-sales-started-last-week-on-than...

Don't fool yourself in to thinking that the reason that they are closed on turkey day, is because of "family values", because that is a bunch of malarkey.

They are closed on turkey day, because there is not as much profit in being open then.

Fewer and fewer people are showing up for the "door buster" deals, because people can shop at home 24/7 on their computers.

They can even shop on turkey day.

That is the real reason.

For each and every business, they don't do anything without considering how it is going to impact their profits.

That is the only thing that is important to a business.

Profit, and nothing else.

As for the "poor employees" who must "forego" family time, they knew that there was the possibility of that happening when they took the job.

Just like waiters, waitresses, cooks, people who work in the movie theater, gas station mini-mart employees, pilots and flight crew, air traffic controllers, people who work at hotels, maids, taxi drivers, bartenders, tow truck drivers, etc all know that they might have to work on the holidays.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@sidsmom  Probably because the person working at crappy retail store is making $7 an hour and NFL sport star is making a few million. Also, NFL sport star is treated like royalty (hence the pay). Common person working at crappy retail store is not.

Lets compare nurses to Kmart workers. How about doctors to Pizza-Hut drivers. You could say that about anyone except well, no you can't. Once is necessary, one isn't. One is paid ****** and one isn't.

You want to work holidays? Be my guest. Many don't but must and are not given any additional perks for doing so. Kinda sucks, you know?

Obviously you’ve never been to a professional sporting event.

There are many, many, many people working other than the ‘stars’.

Concessions, parking lot attendants, janitors, maintenance...

all for the pleasure of someone wanting to maintain the

“sanctity of the family reunion” by stuffing another hot dog and

cheap beer down their throat.

So the only only ones working at the hospitals are doctors?

And if we’re going the ‘needed’ staff, what about the First Responders

and Law Enforcement...Who, ironically enough, are sometimes needed

to break up & arrest those maintaining that “sanctity of the family reunion”....all for the small price we pay our people who protect us. 

I just can’t imagine how sad someone’s life must be to hinge on 

one day to make their family special.  That’s what sucks.  

I dunno....maybe make the other 364 days more special.

When a family loves & respects each other all year long,

Thanksgiving is just another Thursday.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I don't think many will notice at least half the stores on the list are closed on thanksgiving.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Obviously you’ve never been to a professional sporting event.

There are many, many, many people working other than the ‘stars’.

Concessions, parking lot attendants, janitors, maintenance...

all for the pleasure of someone wanting to maintain the

“sanctity of the family reunion” by stuffing another hot dog and

cheap beer down their throat.

So the only only ones working at the hospitals are doctors?

And if we’re going the ‘needed’ staff, what about the First Responders

and Law Enforcement...Who, ironically enough, are sometimes needed

to break up & arrest those maintaining that “sanctity of the family reunion”....all for the small price we pay our people who protect us. 

I just can’t imagine how sad someone’s life must be to hinge on 

one day to make their family special.  That’s what sucks.  

I dunno....maybe make the other 364 days more special.

When a family loves & respects each other all year long,

Thanksgiving is just another Thursday.

@sidsmom  Yeah, I have. I just didn't think it was necessary to spell out every single job and then do a compare and contrast because I think most people on this forum are intelligent enough to figure it out.

We were also only talking about retail and then someone brought up nurses, ER's, police, etc so I did the compare and contrast of retail worker vs 24 hour emergency/first response. Again, I think most people are intelligent here to understand what was being stated.

In the end, if you want to work, do so. To force someone and threaten to fire them if they don't? Not right. 

That's it.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't matter to me whether certain stores are open or not on turkey day. I'm not much of a competitive shopper and don't like crowds. I'll probably shop online for most of my gifts or give gift cards.  And the young adults on my list love money!

My shopping is simple and requires little effort. 😊

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is a perennial topic here. I find it hard to feel any passion for this issue.

As for the sanctity of the family reunion? Come on now. As many of those who truly don't want to work because of the beloved family dinner, I bet that just as many relish the extra money much more. Not everyone is invited to a huge gathering at Norman Rockwell's house anyway. :-) Many families also can adapt their dinner time, if they so choose. 

@suzyQ3   Agree.

I can’t help but think about college students and the like who live too far from home to make the trip for such a short time.  I was one of those and that extra day of work was great! 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

if you work for a company that you KNOW is open on thanksgiving, why would you say you are "forced" to work? if you DONT want to work on that day then you should probably apply for a job at one of the companies where you WONT have to work on thanksgiving.

i am not one who believes that blessings or gatherings should be saved for one particular day or period of time during that day. if that thursday doesnt work for you or your family, then make it happen another day.....and more often! if someone has to work in the afternoon, make a thanksgiving breakfast to share with your family and friends.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

The world isn't going to end if someone is forced to work on turkey day.

You do what millions of other families have done when one has to work that day.

You adjust.

Thr world isn't going to end if you have the big feast on Monday, Wednesday, or even Saturday.

People need to get over the idea that if they don't have a Norman Rockwell feast on the date specified by a calendar, that the world is somehow going to fall apart.

And if it is that important to one that they simply must have turkey day off, then you quit and find a job where you are guaranteed never to work on a single holiday.

Otherwise, the possibility was there when they took the job.