Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

[ Edited ]

I don't see this as a big deal.  You can have a family dinner and give Thanks 365 days a year if it is a date when everyone can come.  Most people can coordinate around one day.

And not everyone in the US celebrates Thanksgiving and many more don't have family in.  It isn't a universal thing.  For MANY different reasons.  People work on the 4th of July, Memorial  and Labor Days, etc.  Lots enjoy the overtime, others would rather be off another day when other family members can get together too.

And back in the day, my mom and aunt and I would pile in the car and go to K-Mart (the only place often) Thanksgiving afternoon while the men watched football--and we had a blast!  Then we would come and everyone would have MORE PIE!

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I have not heard of anyone not celebrating Thanksgiving. Not being snarky, I am just wondering if I am out of the loop.

yes, i know people who celebrate it by sleeping in or going out.......they do not celebrate the "spirit of thanksgiving."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I have not heard of anyone not celebrating Thanksgiving. Not being snarky, I am just wondering if I am out of the loop.

I come from an Asian background and many Asians do not celebrate Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I worked at a hotel and had to man the front desk. I was only paid time and a half. I found it sickening but apparently hotels do not close - ever. The manager of the hotel took the day off but several kitchen workers, housekeepers and shuttle drivers had to work. 

Respected Contributor

Nancy Drew, not to be disrespectful but many of us have lost family members. If you alone in life, you may not want to go through the hassle of cooking a Turkey, making sides etc.  I say a prayer and am thankful but I do not partake in the usual ritual of a big family dinner.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

Nancy Drew, not to be disrespectful but many of us have lost family members. If you alone in life, you may not want to go through the hassle of cooking a Turkey, making sides etc.  I say a prayer and am thankful but I do not partake in the usual ritual of a big family dinner.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMeeIf I am being nosey just say so but why don’t you celebrate it? never thought of it as a religious holiday. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

You can add Talbots to that list.  I work there and know we are closed.

Honored Contributor

Some reasons some people don’t celebrate;

• Thanksgiving has racist origins and is still used to teach racist ideas about Pilgrims and Indians.
  • (United American Indians of New England holds an annual Day of Mourning protest against Thanksgiving)
  • Some people follow religions that prohibit celebrating holidays, or that prohibit celebrating non-religious holidays
  • Some people have eating disorders that make food-based holidays triggering or unpleasant
  • Some people are alienated from family and find celebrating holidays unbearable
  • Some people just don’t like it, or don’t want to
  • Or any number of other reasons

http://realsocialskills.org/post/103561306510/some-people-dont-celebrate-thanksgiving

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein