Esteemed Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Or people dwelling on the fact that some stores will be open and that people will be working.

Responding is now "dwelling"  well all righty then.

Just using the same word that you used in your post.

"rather than those dwelling on what is wrong or what they don't have"

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Or people dwelling on the fact that some stores will be open and that people will be working.

OK so those upset that the stores aren't open and  complaining about it  and arguing that people getting the day off shouldn't be - are not dwelling.

Fine.  I guess they are merely remarking or something.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

OK so those upset that the stores aren't open and  complaining about it  and arguing that people getting the day off shouldn't be - are not dwelling.

Fine.  I guess they are merely remarking or something.

Just like those who are not upset that stores are open and people are working are merely remarking or something.

Honored Contributor

I used to work in a bank in the 'olden days' and we had true 'banker's hours'. 

Started at nine and worked till 3 or 3:30 M-F. 

Only the tellers had to stay late on Friday (till 6) to 'prove'.  I knew I never wanted to be a teller because of that!

20 years later I worked at an insurance company and remember my manager telling me she lived for the day that customer service would be 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  I thought she was nuts.....

Now it's a pain when a business/company only has C/S weekdays from 9-5 EST.  And you want to speak to someone about something on a Saturday afternoon!

I know I'd never want to work those days or hours, but obviously people do and they don't know of the 'olden days'.

I've wanted to go shopping on Thanksgiving, but only went once by myself.  I think it was to a Macy's (out of state, but one I was familiar with).  I remember it wasn't crowded and the salespeople weren't very friendly.  And I felt guilty--I do remember that.

I know that movie theaters have always been open on the holidays and I never went only because I rarely go to the movies and Thankgiving or Christmas would be too bizarre for me.  lol

But I'm all for stores being open for Christmas shoppers.  I absolutely love the late store hours, too.  I hate when those end, because I am known to run to a mall late in the evening---just because it's open!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........o

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I have not heard of anyone not celebrating Thanksgiving. Not being snarky, I am just wondering if I am out of the loop.

@Nancy Drew- many do not celebrate Thanksgiving ....It's an American holiday and this is a very diverse nation.   Canada celebrates in October....many countries celebrate something similar but usually related to the harvest.  No one but an American cares too much about the Pilgrims landing on Plymouth Rock.  It's a national holiday because of what it means to Americans.  Those that don't celebrate it, just view it as an opportunity to have an extra day off or if your lucky 4 days off.  When I was a young nurse, I volunteered to work if someone else was preparing dinner but managed to have time with family.  I didn't work 24/7 and neither do people in retail.  Some enjoy the extra money for holidays or even enjoy the atmosphere at their job on Thanksgiving...like at Macy's and for some, it's part of their Thanksgiving ritual 

@Stray

There are Americans who were born and raised right in this country who choose not to celebrate turkey day.

@Plaid Pants2- very true....I wasn't fond of it myself for many years....I like to get together with family and friends that day but I do anyway at other times....each year it seems another chair at the table is empty so I actually feel a bit sad...

Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........o

There are a lot of people on this forum who don’t enjoy any holiday and are upset when anyone else does.