Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, all restaurants should be closed?  All airlines should stop flights?  All movie theatres should be dark?

I guess if you avail yourself of any of these things on Thanksgiving Day it's O.K. that those employees are working?  It's only those things that meet your criteria of hijacking the "true meaning" of the holiday that should close?  And those things that don't inconvenience you perhaps?

Do you really want people to have absolutely no options but to stay home?  Who are you to decide that?  Would you like the government to shut down all manner of entertainment outside the home for the day?

@QueenDanceALot, your argument is falling on deaf ears.  I brought this up several posts back.  No one addresses it.  Those who want stores closed don't care about all the other non-essential employees who have to work. 

Apparently many think if you have to work on TD, you are either an essential employee or work at a store.  LOL 

@Lipstickdiva

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to believe that people don't understand how many people in all different arenas work holidays.

I guess they don't want to hear it.  LALALALALALALALA

Valued Contributor

Retail is a hard, crappy job and the pay is usually miserable.  I say good for the employers that give their employees the day off to enjoy themselves.

I'm happy to extend that sentiment to movie theater staff and restaurant employees, too, for whatever that is worth.

Honored Contributor

Actually a religious overtone does play a part in the history of Thanksgiving because Lincoln issued a proclamation that said in part "I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens."

Also, FDR moved the date of the celebration to help boost shopping at one time.

So there you have it!

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, all restaurants should be closed?  All airlines should stop flights?  All movie theatres should be dark?

I guess if you avail yourself of any of these things on Thanksgiving Day it's O.K. that those employees are working?  It's only those things that meet your criteria of hijacking the "true meaning" of the holiday that should close?  And those things that don't inconvenience you perhaps?

Do you really want people to have absolutely no options but to stay home?  Who are you to decide that?  Would you like the government to shut down all manner of entertainment outside the home for the day?

@QueenDanceALot, your argument is falling on deaf ears.  I brought this up several posts back.  No one addresses it.  Those who want stores closed don't care about all the other non-essential employees who have to work. 

Apparently many think if you have to work on TD, you are either an essential employee or work at a store.  LOL 

No - my argument was concerning the objection to stores who VOLUNTARILY close to allow their employees time off - and my assessment of those who insist this shouldn't happen.

Of course people are going to be forced to work on the holiday - which again makes my point that people who want this to happen for their own convenience are elitist.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Actually a religious overtone does play a part in the history of Thanksgiving because Lincoln issued a proclamation that said in part "I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens."

Also, FDR moved the date of the celebration to help boost shopping at one time.

So there you have it!

So what?  People who aren't religious have nothing to be grateful for?  So much then for all the research that shows the happiest people are those who are grateful for the good in their lives rather than those dwelling on what is wrong or what they don't have. -an example of which is being upset that their favorite store isn't open when they want it to be - or that other people are enjoying a day off, thus inconviencing those who want to shop.

Esteemed Contributor

Or people dwelling on the fact that some stores will be open and that people will be working.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No - my argument was concerning the objection to stores who VOLUNTARILY close to allow their employees time off - and my assessment of those who insist this shouldn't happen.

Of course people are going to be forced to work on the holiday - which again makes my point that people who want this to happen for their own convenience are elitist.

As I said earlier, I don't really care what the stores do.  I don't shop on TD. 

But anyone who thinks that a store is closed because the owner is being nice and wants to allow employees to spend time with their families is living in la la land.  They are closed because it's not profitable for them to be open.

I wonder how many of these stores that are closed are 100% closed?  Is it just the physical store that is closed?  Do they still have people manning the phones for on-line ordering?  Do they still have people processing on-line orders?  Are people still in warehouses shipping orders?   

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

As I said earlier, I don't really care what the stores do.  I don't shop on TD. 

But anyone who thinks that a store is closed because the owner is being nice and wants to allow employees to spend time with their families is living in la la land.  They are closed because it's not profitable for them to be open.

I wonder how many of these stores that are closed are 100% closed?  Is it just the physical store that is closed?  Do they still have people manning the phones for on-line ordering?  Do they still have people processing on-line orders?  Are people still in warehouses shipping orders?   

Don't know.  You said NO one addressed others having to work - e.g., in restaurants.  I answered your assertion.  

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Or people dwelling on the fact that some stores will be open and that people will be working.

Responding is now "dwelling"  well all righty then.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, Best Buy still plans to open on TD.