Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

So the QVC Community Boards should be closed down, as well?

Honored Contributor

Not only was the money good when I worked the holidays, I didn't mind standing in for my co-workers who wanted the days off to be with their families. It was my way of giving them a gift for the holidays and for me working always seem to take away the empty feeling of not having a family, especially during the holidays. @homedecor1

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom,

Do you remember last year? It was during one of the holidays that all hill broke loose when the mods took the day off but the boards remained open. It was somethin'!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanksgiving is a national holiday, and it would be nice if everything closed down for 24 hours.  However, that is just not reality.  

Hospitals are open as well as many restaurants.  Police officers and fire fighters have to work.  Many people have wonderful family get-togethers, but there are also many who have no one to spend the holiday with or really need the money and welcome the opportunity to work for overtime/holiday pay.

I enjoy preparing Thanksgiving dinner; but, if I was alone, probably not so much.  I also remember when I was growing up that movies were open on Thanksgiving as well as the local theatre.  There was always some outside entertainment for that evening.

For retail establishments, I think some people go in the evening just to get out of the house and maybe walk off dinner.  Others go to beat the crowds on Friday.   So really, it is just another day where people who shop are out there spending a lot of money and contributing to the economy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I don’t shop on Thanksgiving.  I doubt I ever will.  But who knows

Anyway, we’re going to be out of town on Thanksgiving.   There are many people other than retail workers that have to work.  I don’t know why everyone else gets forgotten?   

Honored Contributor

Yes. Restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stores. These are non essential, not just stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I would vote yes. They would like a day off and for me this board is non essential. Probably others would disagree.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I am glad more stores are open on Thanksgiving, or even Christmas. Not everyone celebrates it. I am sure some places pay more on these days, and have the employees who want to work to the front of the line. Yes, I know some don't want to work, and have too. I am sure there will be some hours left in the day to celebrate it, unless your work the 12 hour days.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I don’t shop on Thanksgiving.  I doubt I ever will.  But who knows

Anyway, we’re going to be out of town on Thanksgiving.   There are many people other than retail workers that have to work.  I don’t know why everyone else gets forgotten?   

taxi/uber drivers

flight attendants

pilots

janitorial services in the airport

airline employees

food services within an airport

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I have not heard of anyone not celebrating Thanksgiving. Not being snarky, I am just wondering if I am out of the loop.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.