Esteemed Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

@Bri36 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

My how time flies...

It's already that special time of year. Time to argue about stores opening/closing on thanksgiving. It seems like just yesterday...

It’s a Holiday Tradition.  Lol

Yup, next on the docket is " Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

My how time flies...

It's already that special time of year. Time to argue about stores opening/closing on thanksgiving. It seems like just yesterday...

And do we dare broach the topic of stores that are open on Christmas Day...

Smiley Surprised

Maybe we better not...

Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@SilleeMeeIf I am being nosey just say so but why don’t you celebrate it? never thought of it as a religious holiday. 

Because it is primarily a western holiday celebrating the historical unfolding of events that happened during a time in US history. Asians didn't have anything to do with it so they don't recognize it in the traditional sense. In Japan, for example, there is holiday where the people celebrate a day giving special thanks to one another for having the opportunity to work at a job and be productive. That is their 'Thanksgiving' day...it's called 'Labor Thanksgiving Day' and it falls on November 23. @Nancy Drew

@SilleeMee. I think that's a lovely holiday tradition.  Giving thanks to one another.  I appreciate hearing how different cultures celebrate .

Honored Contributor

I don't care what they do.  I swore I would never shop on Thanksgiving day, but last year we came home about 9:00 at night to no electricity so yep, I did go to Kohls and Target.  Unless I lose power again, I won't be out shopping.  However, I have a very good friend who eats dinner around noon and then they have a family tradition of going out and shopping later in the day.

My DH has been on call for all the holidays in the past including x-mas.  Sometimes he gets called in, sometimes not.  Sometimes he's scheduled to come in because of problems that need to be fixed.  My SIL also always has to work Thanksgiving day until 2:30 so we have dinner after she gets out of work.

I don't shop out in stores on Black Friday either with the exception of going to Home Depot to get my live wreath.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Thanksgiving is an American holiday steeped in tradition.It’s everyone’s choice as to what extent they want to acknowledge or celebrate it.I don’t judge!! However, unless you work in the medical field where your presence is necessary there is absolutely no reason why anyone should be required to work on Thanksgiving.It should be their choice. 

I have never nor will I ever shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. I can do without the madness.I prefer to spend this time with family & friends. 

The employers who open on Thanksgiving have employees operate their businesses. They’re home eating turkey 🦃 & watching football 🏈. Yes,I know they’re the bosses etc. etc. It wouldn’t hurt them to close for the day & give their employees a much needed day off.

One of the problems today is that our society has become cold & disconnected. Money & competition has replaced community & family. It would behoove us to get back to basics.Family & community should always come first!!

How about people who work for the electric, gas, and water companies?  It would be pretty difficult to cook a Thanksgiving dinner for your family without having these services up and running.  

@TenderMercies I find it interesting that you highlighted the part about people who work in the medical field & stopped short of highlighting the following sentence that said it should be everyone’s choice of wether they wanted to work on Thanksgiving.

Your point is correct except that there are a lot of folks who don’t care to celebrate Thanksgiving.I know some utility workers. They aren’t forced to work on the holiday.There are enough workers who volunteer to .Some would rather have the triple time offered & others don’t celebrate it for other reasons.Utility companies usually get enough volunteers to make up a skeleton crew.

Around holiday time there are always those people who chose not to celebrate for personal or religious reasons.These are the people who should cover for those who do celebrate.

Like I said in my original post,I don’t judge.People should have the choice.I don’t think it’s right to force someone to work on a holiday that they would rather celebrate.

My DH works for the water company and we have a friend who works for the gas company.  They are both closed for every holiday. 

As far as DH is concerned, certain crews are on call for holidays.  If there is a water main break, someone hits a fire hydrant or something along those line, the on call crew has to come in and fix the problem.  Otherwise, they are off the entire day of Thanksgiving and the day after. 

A few years ago when we had a super cold x-mas, there were water main breaks all over the city.  DH worked all day x-mas eve and had to go in x-mas day in the afternoon.  They purposefully worked around the guys who had kids so they could be home to watch their kids open presents.  Unfortunately for us with no children, DH had to go into work right when our dinner began.  Smiley Sad   

The reason why they now have crews scheduled to be on call is because when they had an emergency in the past, they couldn't get enough guys to volunteer to come in and work. They just wouldn't answer their phones so now if you are on the crew that is on call, you are required to come in.

Esteemed Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

People are losing sight as to what this post was about. We are talking about retailers choosing to stay closed on Thanksgiving so that their employees may be free to celebrate this traditional holiday if they so choose. We are not talking about the merit of celebrating Thanksgiving! Each person can decide if they want to celebrate or not!

Major retailers like Macy's and Penney's have been open on Thanksgiving only since 2013. It is a new phenomenon. And controversial since its inception. 

Many people do not think that stores have to back up Black Friday into Thanksgiving. It is not a necessity!!! When many people chose to work in retail prior to 2013 they had no inkling that Thanksgiving would turn into just another Thursday shopping day. So to say that those who work in retail knew what they were getting into is wrong for those whose hiring predates 2013. 

If someone works in places that have traditionally been open on Thanksgiving like movie theaters or gas stations, etc. then that is their choice. 

But for the employees of the retailers who decided in 2013 to squeeze out a few more $$ by opening their stores on Thanksgiving it is a fair question to ask if it is really necessary? 

And it is fair to applaud those retailers who opt to stay closed on Thanksgiving, giving their employees the holiday off.

No one in our family works in retail.....but I can certainly see why many who do would not be happy about this recent phenomenon. I give kudos to the retailers who have decided to let Thanksgiving continue to be a holiday for their employees.

@yellowBeetle

i find it hard to believe that in five years those working in retail have not gotten used to "the new normal" by now in their respective stores. not EVERYONE has to work and obviously there are some willing to do so for many reasons. you cannot tell me that stores dont change their rules and regulations for their employees year by year.

it isnt about THE DAY......it is about the love, friendship, togetherness of the people that surround you. there are certainly 364 OTHER days to make that happen......and there are 365 days to give thanks for what you have, including having a job.

@sunshine45

Again, this thread was about the list of retailers who are choosing to stay closed on Thanksgiving! And I applaud them!

For the retailers like Macy's and others who in 2013 started opening on Thanksgiving then their employees have had to work. And from many articles I have read, a substantial number do not like it.

But again, if you or anyone else decides not to celebrate Thanksgiving that is a whole different topic! 

This thread was simply giving a thumbs up to those retailers who have decided to remain closed on Thanksgiving, thereby allowing their employees to celebrate if they so choose. Woman Happy

You keep using the date of 2013, there were many retail places that have been open on Thanksgiving day long before then.  Store that are not open do it for economic reasons.  They cannot make money, has nothing to do with employees spending time with the family. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

If no one shopped on Thanksgiving there would be no need for the stores to be open.  It's customer driven.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

My how time flies...

And do we dare broach the topic of stores that are open on Christmas Day...

Smiley Surprised

Maybe we better not...

Smiley Happy

Lets beat one topic to death before starting another. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I have never shopped on Thanksgiving, but if I were young enough to be working retail, I might volunteer to work Thanksgiving.  I don't live near any family;  I'm often invited to join others, but with very few exceptions I've found I much prefer my own company on the holiday to being the outsider.

I used to think I'd feel sad to be alone on the holidays, but for the most part, I never do.  I've already turned down one invitation to join a family gathering for the afternoon, but dinner is 45 minutes in each direction after dark.  I haven't driven that much at night total in the last 4 years, so there's no regret here.  I haven't been in Florida for a whole week yet, so maybe I'll find a cordial solution that doesn't involve driving after dark or, just as bad for me, eating turkey for dinner!

Respected Contributor

For YEARS local grocery stores, gas stations and other markets remained open on Thanksgiving for a few hours. I know when my son was 16, he worked at Kmart and they were open on Thanksgiving Day with no complaints.  Movie Theatre's were also always open on the holidays also.

What about the people who do not celebrate the holiday for various reasons? Some people do not have a family to celebrate and others ... their belief system is different - etc.

People who work retail these days pretty much know that they may have to work late afternoon on Thanksgiving, evening or even overnight.  Most places ask for volunteers first before doing the schedule - and offer incentives to do so. Most teenagers and even adults want that extra $$$ that is offered.

First few years of my career I worked holidays and weekends. We worked around my hours.  You do what you have to do. 

Every year people go crazy over this topic and it doesn't need to be that way. You do not choose to shop that is great..you choose to..that is great too...whatever works for YOU..  I see nothing wrong with the majority of retailors wanting to cash in on the day too..

While to some it is "only shopping.." and can wait..to others it may be a tradition, they may have no family or a place to be part of so it is not significant day for them.  Not everybody is into the family and holiday thing.

Regardless of what some places do - you are not going to make everybody happy.

But like I said - most employees know if they are going to be required to work on Thanksgiving Day and can have their celebration around the scheduled day.