Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS THAT PLAN TO CLOSE ON THANKSGIVING.........

So, all restaurants should be closed?  All airlines should stop flights?  All movie theatres should be dark?

I guess if you avail yourself of any of these things on Thanksgiving Day it's O.K. that those employees are working?  It's only those things that meet your criteria of hijacking the "true meaning" of the holiday that should close?  And those things that don't inconvenience you perhaps?

Do you really want people to have absolutely no options but to stay home?  Who are you to decide that?  Would you like the government to shut down all manner of entertainment outside the home for the day?

Honored Contributor

And don't call an UBER driver on Thanksgiving, they shouldn't be making any money that day and you can jolly well wait till Friday to get a ride!

Trusted Contributor

Having just wrapped up a 42 year retail career, I have to give my opinion on this subject. When I first started in retail in the mid 1970's, stores were closed on Sundays and all major holidays. And we survived! When retail started opening on Sunday, we were paid time and a half. As the years went on, that went away. Then the holidays fell to the wayside. I understand that not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving or Christmas or the 4th of July, but those who don't can surely find something to do. Walk the dog, read a book, volunteer somewhere. Spend some quiet time with yourself.  I am looking forward to truly enjoying the holidays for the first time in years.

Trusted Contributor

When I was 19, I worked at a large department store.  I had to work what was called a split shift on Christmas Eve.  That meant I worked 10-2 and 6-10.  I HAD to work these hours, because if I refused, the other cashier who always took two weeks off at Christmastime wouldn't have been able to take those two weeks off.  I was 19, and she was an older woman working a job in her retirement.

I couldn't withstand the pressure, so I did it.

Esteemed Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

Having just wrapped up a 42 year retail career, I have to give my opinion on this subject. When I first started in retail in the mid 1970's, stores were closed on Sundays and all major holidays. And we survived! When retail started opening on Sunday, we were paid time and a half. As the years went on, that went away. Then the holidays fell to the wayside. I understand that not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving or Christmas or the 4th of July, but those who don't can surely find something to do. Walk the dog, read a book, volunteer somewhere. Spend some quiet time with yourself.  I am looking forward to truly enjoying the holidays for the first time in years.

Attitudes like this is contributes to the increased suicide rates during the holidays.  The isolation many feel is only worse when people just tell them to deal with it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

https://www.bellenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Honey-Boo-Boo%e2%80%99s-mother-June-Shannon-rustled-up-a-Thanksgiving-feast-for-the-family-during-the-last-episode-of-Here-Comes-Honey-Boo-Boo-reality-show.jpg

Trusted Contributor

What do stores being open on holidays have to do with the suicide rate?
Honored Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:
What do stores being open on holidays have to do with the suicide rate?

Beats me, I'm working in the morning and I'm getting double time.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

You are in the hospital? I am very sorry to hear this!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, all restaurants should be closed?  All airlines should stop flights?  All movie theatres should be dark?

I guess if you avail yourself of any of these things on Thanksgiving Day it's O.K. that those employees are working?  It's only those things that meet your criteria of hijacking the "true meaning" of the holiday that should close?  And those things that don't inconvenience you perhaps?

Do you really want people to have absolutely no options but to stay home?  Who are you to decide that?  Would you like the government to shut down all manner of entertainment outside the home for the day?

@QueenDanceALot, your argument is falling on deaf ears.  I brought this up several posts back.  No one addresses it.  Those who want stores closed don't care about all the other non-essential employees who have to work. 

Apparently many think if you have to work on TD, you are either an essential employee or work at a store.  LOL