Honored Contributor

RETAILERS, GROCERS AND OTHERS SAY FOOD SUPPLY CHAINS GOOD

Was glad to hear that those responsible for the food supply chain in the U.S. have been coming together and they are as a group pledging to the task force and the country to ensure the flow of food to the nation.

There are periodic empty shelves during the panic buying periods, but they will be replenished, the group says. 

In our case, our extremely reliable local grocer was bare of 2% milk this morning!  But we went to a secondary store, and it had milk.  Inconvenient, but still it's reassuring to know that grocers, farmers and others are alert to problems and working together.

Honored Contributor

Re: RETAILERS, GROCERS AND OTHERS SAY FOOD SUPPLY CHAINS GOOD

I think week-ends are the worst; stores are more busy on week-ends anyway with people working and Friday paydays.

So you have the usual week-end crowds, you have the folks who couldn't get what they wanted during the week, and then you have the ones who just keep going back even though they really don't need anymore "stuff".

We have always shopped during the week early mornings; I can imagine there is an uptick going on right now but I think things will simmer down.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went grocery shopping yesterday, it was my usual run. I already had toilet paper & hand sanitizer from several weeks ago. There was none of that on the shelves. Employees were stocking cases of water and Lysol. There was hardly any ground beef or steak, but plenty of chicken, pork, & seafood. It was very busy but all checkout lanes were open and it didn't take me long to get through. 

Honored Contributor

What was nice to hear was that employees at a hamburger chain, What-A-Burger, brought free food to the grocery store workers.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

One thing I know for sure  because several family members work in the grocery business is that they are working incredibly exhausting shifts whether they are management or working any department on the floors of their stores.

Honored Contributor

I bet they are, @millieshops -- they are front line heroes!  I was complimenting the manager of "Big Lots" this morning on all the work they are doing for all of us, and she said they had a rough weekend.  If you can believe it, people were attacking her for the store's (necessary and temporary) rationing of only so many toilet paper rolls per household.

I'm so grateful for the many people who are working together for the good of all.