Esteemed Contributor

Re: REMEMBERING THE BRAVERY 22 YEARS AGO

Never Forget. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Hazelfaye ,  you've given us another vivid word picture of that time. How relieved you must have been that your police officer son, who would have been a first responder, was OK.

Valued Contributor

I can't believe it's been 22 years since that awful day. Seems like yesterday, yet so much has happened since then. The loss of friends and family, several job changes, moving from our family home. So many changes yet I always make it my business to watch the memorial ceremony every year on the local NY news. It's the least I can do to remember those poor souls who lost their lives and their families who've had to carry on somehow. A solemn day for us all. May they Rest In Peace. 

Esteemed Contributor

I will never forget this day. I was in my doctor's office waiting for my appt.

as I was expecting my first baby. My daughter was due Sept. 10th and

on the 11th I thought maybe I would be in labor before the day was over.

I was so nervous about the baby and the tv was on in the waiting room

and all this was happening very early in the morning and one of the

doctors came out and was standing there with the patients watching

the tv in horror.

Driving home and listening to the radio I was just crying and crying.

A joyous time of bringing a baby into the world with such tragedy

going on only two hours away from us was something I never would

imagine.

I delivered my baby only two days later, a healthy baby girl. In the

hospital I watched the devastating coverage on tv. 

My daughter turns 22 on Wednesday.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Oznell. We knew one of the pilots. 

Respected Contributor

I just finished watching the annual reading of the names by family members on local television,  as I do every year.  There are two names I always wait to hear.

The tributes by family during the readings are heartbreaking. 

Thanks to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum staff for arranging, planning and organizing this annual ceremony which I hope continues indefinitely. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @Oznell Heart We can never forget.

Thought I lost my hubs that day. I have posted only once here about it. So painful and surreal of a day, as well as months to follow.

Happy to say that hubs and I are sitting together right now. We watched the reading of the names. Many silent tears shed between us. Hubs is not a cryer, but he is a native New Yorker. His hometown was devasted that day. Innocence lost. Never the same.

Rest in Peace to all lives lost and gentle comfort to families and friends that remain to carryon with their lives.Heart

Honored Contributor

I would HOPE   NO ONE FORGETS.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I worked very close to the WTC so close that I was going to my office as the second plane flew over my head, I was in the Battery Tunnel when the 1st plane hit. I got in and found a message from my Mom and Diane , who was from Missouri, the both wanted to know what was going on, and how I was. I remember everything that happened as if it was yesterday.
We stayed in our office until about 2 pm, and planned to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and go to my bosses sons house. We were able to catch a shuttle bus across the bridge and from there we got another bus to our area of Brooklyn. I was with a young girl who lived not to far from me. Her dad picked us up some where after Church Ave.
I was calm until I got home and then I did not stop crying for a week. I remember I had worn sandals that day and changed to a pair of closed shoes, the closed shoes and dust, left my feet battered and bruised, the shoe were full of shoot and dust when I got home and they stayed that way for months, before I could touch them.
My hubby could not get home I was lucky to have a friend stay with me or I am not sure how I would of been.
My Dad worked on Park Row and watched the WTC being built, we spent my folks 25th anniversary at Windows on the World, and Barry worked at 6 WTC and was there the day of the first bombing
Seventeen years later I still shake thinking about the day. Strange thing we stayed right across for the Freedom Tower last week and my mind was filled with thoughts of 9-11.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

To those who's fear, bravery, stoicism, and guts were that day shown to millions..... and we who watched in horror and couldn't take our eyes away....thinking what it could possibly have been like in those final moments....thanking god we were spared.....

"They died crying in their minds like little babies. They forgot the things they were fighting for the things they were dying for. They thought about things a man can understand.

They died yearning for the face of a friend. They died whimpering for the voice of a mother a father a wife a child They died with their hearts sick for one more look at the place where they were born please god just one more look. They died moaning and sighing for life.

They knew what was important..

They knew that life was everything and they died with screams and sobs. They died with only one thought in their minds and that was I want to live I want to live I want to live."

-Dalton Trumbo

Live every day like it's your last. We become too complacent and think the daily nonsense and minutia means something...it does not.

Rest in Peace all those who perished that day.