Honored Contributor

RECOVERED DOCUMENTS SHOW POLISH DIPLOMATS HELPED JEWS ESCAPE

This is exciting-- I love when suddenly we get new info that helps shed light on history...

There's a new exhibition in Switzerland that shows that Polish members of the diplomatic corps managed to forge fake Latin American passports for hundreds of Jews in aiding them to escape while Poland was under Nazi occupation.

The documents had been in possession of one of the Swiss-based Poles, an Orthodox Jew named Chaim Eiss.  He was one of the diplomats and possessed this undiscovered archive, retrieved only now after 75 years!   Of course the men would have faced the worst scenario possible had their heroic, secret activities come to light during the war.

It's both sobering and wonderful to contemplate reminders of the life-risking courage, dedication and heroism that can flourish in every generation...

http://www.thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/383537,Exhibition-in-Switzerland-shows-how-Polish-diplomats-helpe...

Honored Contributor

Re: RECOVERED DOCUMENTS SHOW POLISH DIPLOMATS HELPED JEWS ESCAPE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  This is enlightening information and well received.  Oznell, you would make an excellent history professor as well as a film critic.  You are multitalented and we are lucky to have you on the boards..  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thanks for the info.  I guess you heard that the movie is going to be re-released in December in movie theatres.

I have watched it several times (on the screen and on TV); but I don't know if my teenage grandchildren have ever seen it.

If they haven't I'd like to take them to the theatre to see it because I think the story deserves to be shown in the manner in which it was meant.  

It's something that sticks with you and (I think) makes you a better person afterward.

I love history and it seems like lately I've been telling family and friends.....'history has a way of shorting things out'.  

Your post puts this out there more than ever.....

Honored Contributor

Oh, @phoenixbrd, you are way too kind-- thank you for those sentiments!

Wow, @Annabellethecat66, I knew nothing about a movie coming out about this!  You really have antenna up in multiple worlds!   Thanks for the tip-- will be looking out.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I think I may have misled you.  I was talking about the re-release of Shindler's List, the movie.

Mr. Spielberg just announced he's re-releasing the movie.

See here: 

http://www.firstshowing.net/2018/trailer-for-spielbergs-schindlers-list-25th-anniversary-re-release/

He just announced it a week or two ago.  I don't think a lot of people are aware of it.

He hasn't started promoting it's re-release yet.  It was just mentioned on Entertainment Weekly XM radio.

I think it's exciting.  There is an entire generation that never even heard of this amazing movie.  I'm sure you are probably aware of the movie and have probably seen it, as you are such an amazing movie aficionados.  I love, love reading your reviews.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I see, @Annabellethecat66-- it's "Schindler's List" that's being re-issued.  Thanks for settting me straight.  But that's exciting too!  That chapter of history can never be too often visited, especially for succeeding generations that may not know the particulars....

Esteemed Contributor

Whenever I see the word JEWS - I always hold my breath because it's usually a negative story. Wish we would have learned about this many years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Thanks for posting this, it is always a great experience to find a bit of new history!

Reminds me of the many Poles who were able to decrypt Enigma by using multiple Bomba machines.  They sent this information to the allies.

Unknown until after WWII, and not much recognized or appreciated.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Wow, I didn't know about that, @Drythe.  That is fascinating!

Valued Contributor

Thanks for this information @Oznell. It reminds me of a Scholastic book my daughter bought in elementary school several years ago called "Passage to Freedom." It's about a Japanese man, Chiune Sugihara, who was a Japanese government official who worked in Lithuania during World War II. He helped about 6,000 Jews escape Europe during WWII by issuing them transit visas so that they could travel through Japanese territories. He risked his job and his families lives doing this. The fleeing Jews were refugees from Poland and some were residents of Lithuania. In 1985 the State of Israel honored Mr. Sugihara.

I think I enjoyed reading the book more than my daughter. It warms the heart to read of heroic, good hearted people like these men.