Honored Contributor

Re: RECOVERED DOCUMENTS SHOW POLISH DIPLOMATS HELPED JEWS ESCAPE

Oh, that it does, @cimeranrose.  This is another individual and inspiring episode I was unaware of.  Love that posters are bringing all these to our attention-- thanks!

Respected Contributor

Wow- fascinating... That is my history. My father and his family were living in Berlin in the late 1930s, and the Nazis came and my paternal grandfather was deported to Poland immediately (he wasn’t German).  Homeless and desperate, (of course, they inadvertently saved his life), he somehow managed to acquire a visa to Bolivia, my Father said from some benevolent office worker (maybe from this man in the article! ) so he went- no other choice.  He managed to re-establish himself in Bolivia, dirt roads and no cities, and sent for my grandmother, my father and the family.  They were there for about 8 years.  Around 1945, the family emigrated to New York. He met my Mom, she had same history, grew up in Columbia, Here I am.  So blessed they made it-  All of their siblings and family refused to believe what was happening. They all perished. Sorry for this long- winded post, just reminiscing...Thank you for sharing this important article.

Respected Contributor

Whenever I read about the heroic deeds, in biblical times as well as in 20th century European historical times, I often wonder if I could have or would have been able to do something similar.      I would like to think I would have.....

Now, helping is more often giving financial aid and hoping that it goes where it is supposed to......

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My Dad would tell us the story of his cousin from Poland who was a Polish Scoutmaster of the paramilitary scouting resistance during WWII. He was arrested by the Gestapo in 1943 and murdered in 1944 at the Gross-Rosen concentration camp. We really didn't understand the whole story at the time, we were just little kids. Another of my Dad's relatives ran an orphanage where they harbored Jewish children from Otwock. The women were called occupation mother's who sheltered Jewish children at their own peril.

Respected Contributor

thanks @Oznell for bringing this to our attention.

there are hundreds of stories of Righteous Gentiles - at Yad vaShem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem there are trees planted to commemorate them, to keep the message of what some call "the conspiracy of the good" in front of us when we study a very dark period in human history.  so many risked their lives to help Jews and their examples need to light our way.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

Thanks for this information @Oznell. It reminds me of a Scholastic book my daughter bought in elementary school several years ago called "Passage to Freedom." It's about a Japanese man, Chiune Sugihara, who was a Japanese government official who worked in Lithuania during World War II. He helped about 6,000 Jews escape Europe during WWII by issuing them transit visas so that they could travel through Japanese territories. He risked his job and his families lives doing this. The fleeing Jews were refugees from Poland and some were residents of Lithuania. In 1985 the State of Israel honored Mr. Sugihara.

I think I enjoyed reading the book more than my daughter. It warms the heart to read of heroic, good hearted people like these men.

@cimeranrose

Thank you for posting this, so many largely unsung hero’s.  It is good to hear about them.  I was in Lithuania this spring, at one of the museums I saw a memorial to a Japanese man, sadly I didn’t take a photo and I don’t know if it was the same person.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Extraordinary, extraordinary personal stories-- so glad you generous posters have shared them from family pasts.

Yes, indeed, that celebrated legacy of the righteous Gentiles, and in this case of the Poles, the combination of both Gentiles and Jews, working to save others endangered.  This long afterward, it's amazing that the untold stories still make their way out of obscurity.... deeply inspiring.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Oznell I think I may have misled you.  I was talking about the re-release of Shindler's List, the movie.

Mr. Spielberg just announced he's re-releasing the movie.

See here: 

http://www.firstshowing.net/2018/trailer-for-spielbergs-schindlers-list-25th-anniversary-re-release/

He just announced it a week or two ago.  I don't think a lot of people are aware of it.

He hasn't started promoting it's re-release yet.  It was just mentioned on Entertainment Weekly XM radio.

I think it's exciting.  There is an entire generation that never even heard of this amazing movie.  I'm sure you are probably aware of the movie and have probably seen it, as you are such an amazing movie aficionados.  I love, love reading your reviews.

My son saw Schindler’s List last year as a sophomore in high school—part of their world history unit on WW II and the Holocaust. (Parental permission was required for students to watch the movie.)

Respected Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Oznell I think I may have misled you.  I was talking about the re-release of Shindler's List, the movie.

Mr. Spielberg just announced he's re-releasing the movie.

See here: 

http://www.firstshowing.net/2018/trailer-for-spielbergs-schindlers-list-25th-anniversary-re-release/

He just announced it a week or two ago.  I don't think a lot of people are aware of it.

He hasn't started promoting it's re-release yet.  It was just mentioned on Entertainment Weekly XM radio.

I think it's exciting.  There is an entire generation that never even heard of this amazing movie.  I'm sure you are probably aware of the movie and have probably seen it, as you are such an amazing movie aficionados.  I love, love reading your reviews.

My son saw Schindler’s List last year as a sophomore in High School—part of their world history unit on WW II and the Holocaust. (Parental permission was required for students to watch the movie.)

as i recall Spielberg had a special distribution program for schools at the time of release, maybe longer. he felt this was so important as a history lesson.  not only did he create a great and inspiring movie, he tried to make sure it would be used as an educational tool.  much to admire there.