Esteemed Contributor

Re: RECALL (11/5): Duncan Hines Cake Mixes

Thanks for posting.  I could have sworn I just bought a box of cake mix recently but I can't find it in my pantry.  Maybe I just thought about buying it and didn't actually pick one up.  I'll keep my eyes out for any just in case.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4So true -  and it seems that no matter what product is the culprit, the real culprit so often is a person not doing what he/she is supposed to whether from laziness, greed, incompetence, or something else.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  Thank you for posting and I do think it was smart to post here.  Have checked my stash of emergency cake mixes and right now I don't have this brand, which normally is my first choice in cake mixes.  

Didn't know ConAgra was the company that produced these.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmomthanks for posting recalls.I don’t seem to get that info from my local news.I don’t buy those mixes but I sure hope that anyone who did sees your post.Thanks again for looking out for everyone.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is all over the news and online.

Respected Contributor

I stopped buying boxed cake mixes years ago.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never ever sampled uncooked flour  in desserts or foods as that can also produce internal insects

I also add food grade Diatamaceous Earth powder food to my flour containers, rice, starches ,grains etc.

Diatamaceous Earth is also added into  bakery goods we purchase, and in corn, wheat, barley, flour, and many other products as it kills various insects so larvae will not hatch.  

I add DE to many items and then place in sealed heavy duty contianers and into heavy duty freezer bags and leave in the freezer for about 1 week at zero temperature as an added precaution. Then I place what I want in the pantry, and have never ever had pantry moths or any other critters.

Food Grade DE has many uses in the home on pets, on pet beds, along walls but you must wear a mask not to breathe DE in as it is a very fine powder, but whatever walks through it  dehydrates and dies, so it is used in the house and outside as well as taken daily with juice, or water to clean the colon and intestines.

Before purchaing diatamaceous earth read about it on the internet, and you tube has many video's so you can become completely familiar with all its uses, and how to safely use it in your everyday health and life.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GiantsLover wrote:

Recalls......How dangerous and awful@@@

This is why my family has for many years mixed their own cake mixes with fresh ingredients, so we all feel safer than  buying ready made store bought boixed cake mixes.

@GiantsLover   I recently read where one of the most dangerous foods in terms of bacterial contamination in the pantry is uncooked flour.  Think of all the times we sample cookie dough or cake batter.

@Kachina624  I would guess the raw eggs could be a factor, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you!

More readers will see your alert right here.

I'm subscribed to the FDA.gov newsletter food alerts.

Also the pet food recall section at their site.

You will be alerted to various food (and also pet food, if you choose, alerts. 

Very handy, as I haven't heard in the tv news about this cake mix recall, but did receive an email alert which I just scrolled through my emails and read after your post. 

I'm guessing that tasting/eating the raw batter isn't a good idea either.

Wishing us all food (and other) safety.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

So I’m a lifetime Weight Watcher member, I do the 3-2-1 mug cake ( 3 leveled off tablespoons of cake mix, mix any flavor box of cake mix with a box of angel food cake and store in a container, 2 tablespoons of water, and nuke for 1 minute). I have been eating the confetti cake, I don’t know what the expiration date was, I have been eating it and haven’t had a problem Do you think I should throw it out or is it okay?