Honored Contributor

Re: REALLY disappointed in QVC!!!

This is how big business works throughout the country.  Letting people go is usually one of the first things they do.  It's a shame they don't look at CEO bonuses, senior officers' bonuses, business wastefulness, etc first.  

I worked for an international Fortune 500 company for nearly 40 years.  I can't tell you how many times they laid off people to save money and still gave hundreds of million$ in bonuses to senior VPs and the CEO.  

This year during covid, they cut everyone's salaries - this was the first time senior/CEO people also took a cut.  

During the 2008 recession, they laid off 2,000+, cut all kinds of benefits, slashed their annual salary increases program, and made immediate pay cuts - my cut was 10%.   They said salaries would go back up once the economy picked up.  They reneged on that a couple of weeks later...it was their style. They never did give back any of the benefits when things got better.

Honored Contributor

As others have said, this is how business works. I mentioned in another post that I worked for the same company for 40 years. I was given no notice when my job was determined to be "no longer necessary". (Fortunately, I was able to get a severance package, as I was an officer). But this is what happens in the business world.  

Giving people notice of pending termination can be risky for the company, should the employee become disgruntled with the news. Best for all to give minimal notice, if notice at all.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkerbell3  Maybe they were offered the chance to take buyouts. Many corporations are offering severance packages and early retirement deals to their employees at this time. Without actually discussing the situation with the people involved you have no idea what the true facts of the situation are. 

The company my husband works for may end up laying off up to 30,000 (including 5,000 management positions). They have tried to lower that number by offering severance packages hoping that people will voluntarily leave — many have, while others are waiting to see if they sweeten the deal later in the year. 

Trusted Contributor

Kachina, after your explanation of Antonella's latest behavior with the clothes shows, or any shows other than jewelry, and the crazy blonde hair, nails, tanning stuff, and constant self-deprecating comments on her figure, I think I see now why QVC let her go. 

I still feel really bad for her because she was likable, but you are right, QVC is a business and they have the right to have people there that they want to represent the company.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

As others have said, this is how business works. I mentioned in another post that I worked for the same company for 40 years. I was given no notice when my job was determined to be "no longer necessary". (Fortunately, I was able to get a severance package, as I was an officer). But this is what happens in the business world.  

Giving people notice of pending termination can be risky for the company, should the employee become disgruntled with the news. Best for all to give minimal notice, if notice at all.

Its not the way businesses operated in the 1950s and 60s. There was a sense of family. I worked in a bank. Much more pleasant than what you see today.  Today they cut jobs to a bare minimum and expect people to take on more and more.  Hence the high turnover rates.  In my opinion it was the introduction of the computer that has ruined the workplace environment.

Super Contributor

She wasn’t told and that’s why she is upset....but then turns around in the same post to say who should’ve been let go....go figure!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The most popular hosts that sell the most were saved. That means we can expect more hard sell tactics and false claims as more hosts fight to keep their jobs. Also since QVC 2 essentially tanked and now only has encore presentations, no extra hosts were needed to cover that channel. 

Besides hosts, Q must have fired a boatload of people in CS, I.T. and shipping. Those areas are sorely lacking in response. Orders placed on July 3rd are still "processing".

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

I think it's appalling how QVC is treating people!!!! So much for QVC being like a "family". They let hosts go with no notice! I am very upset that Antonella and Stacey were let go. There are others, right?

Kristna, Julia, Terri, Kristine-  They should all have been the ones to go! 

I think customers should voice their concerns loudly! 

@Tinkerbell3   I think you should calm down. 

I think telling people with a legitimate complaint  to 'calm down' is condescending and rude.

This is a forum of qvc, and the post is from a customer not happy with qvc for it's  decisions and actions. 

A little passion displayed is not a reason for others to be flippant.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  ..... You are right the most popular hosts were saved. As for selling the most. Easy to accomplish when you are given the prime hours and you are given more on air time.

I do not believe they were laid off based on sales. There are a few hosts still employed that have not been on very often. 

Contracts may be protecting some ...... for now. 

Honored Contributor

Seems some of the models were let go, as well. I keep seeing the same handful in fashion and beauty. No?